Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 12-12-2009 , 06:23 AM

Help me please!

Guys I'm having trouble with my vertices, I created a model in polygons and I seem to have double vertices and double faces all around the model. I'm not quite sure why this is happening, can anyone please help me out?

# 2 12-12-2009 , 06:30 AM
Are you sure you have not accidentally pressed the 2-key?

That switches to a mode the shows both the smoothed and unsmoothed cage which has the effect you are describing.

1-key - unsmoothed
2-key -smoothed+unsmoothed cage
3-key - smoothed
4-key - wireframe
5-key - shaded
6-key - shaded+texture
7-key - shaded+texture+lights

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 3 12-12-2009 , 06:34 AM

double vertices

Thats a good suggestion but I didn't have it in it's smoothed form, I neither had 2 or 3 key pressed. I was reading on a blog and someone had mentioned something about having keep faces together, but I don't think that should effect the amount of vertices and faces. Anyway thanks a bunch for the help, I really appreciate it a lot. Hopefully I'll find out the solution one day.

# 4 12-12-2009 , 11:47 AM
Subscriber
what are you doing to the model as you do it?
maybe you hit the extrude or duplicate face by mistake without actually using the tools properly. i hear it's a common thing...

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 5 13-12-2009 , 07:48 AM
Events Team at Wargaming.net
is it possible he duplicated it by mistake and has 2 models there?

# 6 13-12-2009 , 11:22 AM
I checked the mesh is not duplicated, it's one complete mesh. I believe Chirone solved the problem. Thanks a lot though for the reply, that was very kind of you to help me and it is very much appreciated. user added image Happy modeling.