Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 14-08-2004 , 04:35 PM

Modelling a wall

Hi,

I'm trying to model a wall made out of wooden planks all around a fortress . And I want to make it look as realistic as possible, so I don't really want to use a bumped texture on it since it looks fake more often than not. I want to model the individual planks. Unfortunatley, this is making my scene very heavy. Drawing the wall after is taking forever.

Any ideas on how I can improve this?
Would the scale of my wall have anything to do with how heavy it is? Or could Is there any way I could make my bump map look real and not obviously like a texture?

Attached Images

~nspiratn
# 2 17-08-2004 , 12:45 PM
Subscriber
To help with the slowing down of your scene, you could always stick a large portion of the planks in a layer and toggle the visibility of the layer on and off as you need while you're working.

As for making the planks, if you want to model each one individually, I would at least suggest duplicating a few of them here and there as instance copies just to save time because your process appears very time-consuming.

# 3 17-08-2004 , 01:03 PM
Subscriber
I dont think that you have to model the whole wall, just do the spot that will be in front of the camera and use a bump map for the parts that are far away.