Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 20-04-2006 , 10:49 PM

lots of collision

So I need my particles collide with about a couple hundred poly objects that are all animating independently. I could assign them one by one, but then editing the values would be a nightmare. Maya doesn't seem to allow you to link a hierarchy as a collider.

Does anyone know of a work-around for this?

I was looking into some way to combine all of the objects into one and bake the animation to be vertex based. However, I can't seem to find a way to do this.

Anyone?

Thanks all.

-dann

# 2 20-04-2006 , 11:24 PM
To automate the one-by-one make collide you could do this. Select your particle, then all the objects you want it to collide with and run this code:
Code:
{
	string $sSel[] = `ls -sl`;
	int $i;

for($i = 1; $i < size($sSel); $i++)
	{
		collision -r 1 -f 0  $sSel[$i];
		connectDynamic -c $sSel[$i] $sSel[0];
	}
}
As far as editing the collision attributes you could first run this command:
Code:
select -r `ls -typ geoConnector`;
and then open up the attribute spread sheet and edit the values...

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 3 20-04-2006 , 11:48 PM
Thanks KB. I actually wrote the inital script myself but I was hoping someone else had a better solution.

It'll have to do.