Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 05-05-2007 , 07:59 PM

NEW Lamborghini!!

Hey guys, this is my first post here. Im not extremely familiar with maya, but I learn my way around it. So here is a little something I worked on. I have the body completed only, so I decided to add some fire to make it look blown up for now.

Last edited by XtremeAMX; 12-05-2007 at 04:15 AM.
# 2 05-05-2007 , 08:09 PM
here it is

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 06-05-2007 , 08:42 AM
Subscriber
hey XtremeAMX,

Can you please post the picture of the car without the flames.
I am no expert but simply applying flames to the object doesn't
seem cool and looks like you are trying to hide your model..?!?!
Keep going bro!

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep - Scott Adams"

<b>Toxic Bunny</b>
# 4 06-05-2007 , 04:37 PM
Indeed, you shouldnt hide your model in the wip section, that you do in the finished work section. user added image

We are supposed to give comments to your work, and it is rather hard now with those flames in the way. And the model doesnt seem suited for the flaming scene.

# 5 06-05-2007 , 06:05 PM
here is one

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 06-05-2007 , 06:06 PM
and another

Attached Thumbnails
# 7 10-05-2007 , 04:41 AM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
Looking at your shelf buttons i see you are learning car modeling from the eclipse car modeling tutorial.
overall comment;
try to get some smooth edge flow so no sharp corners and keep an eye out how you place the edges/ loop splits keep in mind how everything will be connected in the end.
try to avoid following the tutorial mindlessly think on the things the tutorial guy says and does, knowing why he does things is sometimes more important than how he does things
your model looks very good for someone who's (relative)new to maya

kutgwuser added image

# 8 10-05-2007 , 12:20 PM
Thank you, mastone.
I have watched a piece of the Ferrari tutorial and based on that I started out my model. This is my very first model in Maya. I am new to Maya but not to 3d.

Here are updates.

Attached Thumbnails
# 9 10-05-2007 , 12:21 PM
and more

Attached Images
# 10 10-05-2007 , 04:01 PM
If you delete half of your model and use a mirrored smooth-proxy for that half, you can make changes in the low poly version and see direct results on your high poly model

which 3d package did you use before then?

# 11 10-05-2007 , 09:27 PM
Thanx for the tip. I have used Now3D, blender and Zbrush before. Maya is playing tricks on me here. I need to extract the side skirts area and hide it to finish the back of the model. 1st, when I select the faces and extract it, it says error: Back(I named that back area with the skirts) Has only one piece. Ignored. But I have figured out the problem there.

2nd is when I mirror my geometry, the door or other things mirror touching each other. While they should be far apart on the other side of model. Im guessing its a pivot problem and I tried centering pivot.

Last edited by XtremeAMX; 10-05-2007 at 09:36 PM.
# 12 10-05-2007 , 10:24 PM
no, press insert press w then hold x and snap the pivot to the origin, press insert again.
press f3
now find a thing called smoothproxy in the polygon tab and click on the optionbox .
enter the following values(see picture)

Attached Thumbnails
# 13 11-05-2007 , 12:42 AM
My pivots were already at the origin. That isnt the problem. I had no choice but to go ahead and combine all of the objects then mirror them.

Here is the finished back. I will now need to do windows, lights and bevel up the body. Btw, does anyone know if I draw my own reference images and have them same size (front, back, height of front and side, etc) and just draw by hand, will I be able to to create a model with it?

Attached Thumbnails
# 14 11-05-2007 , 01:20 AM
if i were you i would'nt combine everything,if you want to mirror something select geometry goto duplicate==>optionbox set scale to -x et voila select both surfaces and combine then merge all vertices at the center, good luck

# 15 11-05-2007 , 02:02 AM
Thanks for the input. When I combine I meant combine my seperate objects such as hood and fender due to the problem I mentioned before. When I mirror something I do exactly like you mentioned, -x and the merge verticies.