Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 91 21-09-2009 , 01:32 PM
Slightly better render, still needs some more work on the brain, but I'm still pretty happy with it so far.

Attached Thumbnails
# 92 23-09-2009 , 11:36 PM
Was thinking to start another creature but the timing seemed right to learn rigging so have begun!

I know it'd probably make sense to learn with something with a few less limbs than this, but I've been practising on simpler objects and thought, sod it, why not.

Have the skeleton built, and skinned, going to start studying painting weights now and see how it goes, here's my rig so far, all the local rotations have been checked and tested, and all the joint naming done, so seems ok so far!

Attached Thumbnails
# 93 23-09-2009 , 11:37 PM
Subscriber
you should look into putting control curves onto that thing
unless you've figured out how Assets work user added image

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 94 23-09-2009 , 11:39 PM
Does it matter about putting the control curves onto the rig before painting weights, or can I get all the influences set first, then sort out the controls?

# 95 23-09-2009 , 11:43 PM
Subscriber
i don't think so..
the controls are just there with parent constraints and custom attributes
i think the regular way is to do the controls first, so then you can adjust the skeleton as you're painting weights instead of having to find the bone and twist and stuff

so....

if you have the control for the hand, and you've given it finger attributes that curl the fingers then after binding you can just adjust that control instead of finding the bone...

i think maybe it would have a clearer effect on a larger more complex skeleton...

Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
# 96 23-09-2009 , 11:45 PM
Cool, well I'll make a start on the controls then, before moving onto the weight painting. Cheers Mac!

# 97 24-09-2009 , 10:50 AM
I do the opposite paint the weights ( I use the component editor ... not the painting tool ) and then make the controls but it's just different work flow

# 98 24-09-2009 , 04:25 PM
Yeah, I'm going with that way at the moment Coldwave, I'll get all the weighting done so it moves nicely, it's easy enough to grab what Ik's you need to test with from the outliner anyway, then get all the controls done, grouped etc.

Painting weights is going to take a while to get used to and as I'm in the right frame of mind to learn it I may as well concentrate on that. Already got the back end working pretty good, and the shoulder well on it's way, so hopefully it won't take too long before I can have him walking about and picking a fight with Chirone's eyeball guy!....lol!

# 99 24-09-2009 , 06:16 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!

Originally posted by Dango77
[B...won't take too long before I can have him walking about and picking a fight with Chirone's eyeball guy!....lol! [/B]

haha... that's what I'm talking about!

Looks really good man. I can't believe your onto the rigging already. My models rarely make it past the sculpting stage... once I'm done sculpting, I ask myself... "take it back to Maya and rig it.. OR .. grab some Zspheres and do another sculpt?... :nod:

anyway, nice work!

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 100 24-09-2009 , 06:24 PM
Cheers Steve!

I was very tempted to start another, but it was just too good an opportunity to learn some stuff I haven't touched on yet!

He's by no means ready but couldn't resist posing him in a jump pose.... Excuse the crappy deforms on his neck, not done that part yet...lol

Attached Thumbnails
# 101 24-09-2009 , 09:19 PM
Subscriber
haha that last picture made me laugh a little, just his expression is pretty funny. Good job so far, I always screw up when I get to painting weights, I have absolutely no luck with it. Hopefully you do better than I do.

# 102 24-09-2009 , 09:43 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Dango77
hopefully it won't take too long before I can have him walking about and picking a fight with Chirone's eyeball guy!....lol!

yeah, my dude just has to learn to walk first :p

# 103 24-09-2009 , 10:14 PM
Dango i'm not so good @ textures but i'm now learning them. Few suggestions you could bring some blood color or some dust on his Spikes feet. You could also break up the color little but now it's just simple green you could make some dark green spots on him break up a bit the muscles make some different color onto the down side of the muscles maybe lighter green. And some other stuffs...

Just personal Opinion... Don't go onto my words if you don't find them useful.

user added image

# 104 24-09-2009 , 11:08 PM
Camel:

Thanks man, I was going for a kind of comic/serious look cross. I didn't think I was good enough yet to do something full on proper looking, so tried to add a bit of Marvel style comic book humour to it, hope it worked! Haha

Chirone:

I wouldn't worry, mines just crawling at the moment.... But soon..... lol

Coldwave:

I'd been thinking the same things you have mentioned, the skin does have a lot of brown in it at the moment, but you can only really see it when it's close up, may try adding some blood/veins to him, and will do some texturing to the claws, and the teeth at some point too.

Cheers for the ideas!

I'm wanting to get some practice on rigging and animation done with him, but move onto another character to try and get my texturing and modelling better.
Hopefully I'll just get better with each model I do, I've learnt quite a bit from this one, so I'm looking forward to taking that knowledge on to the next one!

# 105 24-09-2009 , 11:10 PM
EduSciVis-er
Are you going to rig the face/tongue?