Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 21-12-2007 , 12:25 PM
Subscriber

Wacom Tablets, Graphic Tablets...

So I was starting to look into getting one of these fancy tablets that I keep hearing about, but before I go any further than just looking I'd like to get people's opinions who have used them before, and the type that you suggest. I've done a bunch of looking but don't really know where to start or anything like that. Any advice would be great.
And how does it, if it does, come in handy within Maya? It looks pretty handy for detailing better in Photoshop which could be really handy for texturing. How about outside of graphics is it useful for anything else? It says it can replace your old mouse for navigation, sounds promising.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

# 2 21-12-2007 , 02:08 PM
Lifetime Member
i have a Wacom intuos 3 and to be honest most of the time I unplug it from the pc.
It's great if you draw and make textures but as a navigation device I find it horrendous and it interferes at times with my mouse hence the unplugging.
I wouldn't use it to model in Maya as it can be really awkward and it's far easier with a mouse.

To sum up you can't beat it in a paint program but it's not really any help in a 3D package or certainly no advantage.If you have the money and like to create 2D or need to make textures then go for it, but otherwise it's just a luxury you won't miss.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 3 21-12-2007 , 02:30 PM
Subscriber
thank you, thats kind of what I've been getting from what I've read around but to hear it from people doing the same thing as me is good.

I'm also trying to talk myself out of buying a laptop to do all my work and personal use on

# 4 21-12-2007 , 02:44 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
I thoroughly recommend getting one. A few of the guys in our office use them in Maya and Max without a prob too, I prefer the mouse for Maya myself but the wacom is unbeatable for textures, concept and also Zbrush!

Cheers
Jay

# 5 21-12-2007 , 04:25 PM
I've got an Intuos3 A5 tablet and for some things its great and others it isnt.
For drawing and texture work in photoshop etc it is great.
For sculpting in Mudbox (and probably ZBrush) it is great
For anything else it is not so hot.
Navigation wise it is pretty decent but will never be as good as a mouse. It also takes a while to get fully comfortable using it to navigate with and this can put people off.

Simon

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 6 22-12-2007 , 09:28 AM
Subscriber
I've got an intuos3 as well and I can't remember the last time I touched a mouse.
I do use it for maya, and it kicks ass in painter, ps and I prefer it in post and edit as well.
And I'd say it's worth spending that extra money on the intuos, check ebay as well I got mine there and it was about 100€ cheaper.

www.animateme.me.uk
# 7 22-12-2007 , 03:42 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
I got myself a small Wacom Graphire, purely for ZBrush and photoShop, but i can't stand using it in maya..... or for general navigation.

I guess you'll just have to buy one (or borrow a friends) and see what you think.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 8 22-12-2007 , 04:00 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Yeah get one from ebay. I just saw an A3 size for 50 quid on there!!

# 9 23-12-2007 , 01:58 PM
I got a simple A5 trust one, it was about £25-30, I was expecting it to be pretty naff but thought I would give it a go for a while before saving up for a wacom, but ive got to say its pretty good for me anyway, I didnt/dont think that I would use all the extras on the higher priced tablets, but if I now tried one I might find theextra pressure levels etc a great addition. Got to say though the mouse is horrible though, and when I mean horrible I really mean it!

Ive had it for about a year and its been a great little tablet, goes with me to and form work with my laptop and its never had a problem.

I mainly use it for Zbrush and PS work, I tried to get used to it for everything but, i well cant!

I would say that if your going to use a sculpting package then a tablet is a must, I kept sticking to using a mouse with Zbrush, looking back now I must have had a screw loose!

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 10 31-12-2007 , 08:46 PM
hey is there by chance a tablet somewhere 100 euros that would work ok with mudbox ? not looking for smth pro ... just for something to get me started in tablets ...

thanks and best regards,
Vick

# 11 31-12-2007 , 09:08 PM
uh if you read this thread, there's a few people who gave recommendations for tablets that work well with mudbox/zbrush...

Accept no substitutions.
# 12 01-01-2008 , 05:28 AM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!

Originally posted by DjSneeze
hey is there by chance a tablet somewhere 100 euros that would work ok with mudbox ? not looking for smth pro ... just for something to get me started in tablets ...

thanks and best regards,
Vick

I picked up a Wacom Graphire, 4"x6" at best buy for about $100... (70-80 Euros Maybe? I'm not sure on the exchange rate.)
It's loaded with features, such as, pressure sensitivity, cordless/battery-less Pen, and a Cordless battery-less mouse, thats a bit to clunky for my liking. Plus a bunch of free software, and lots of buttons i never use user added image

It Sounds small but once you start using it in Photoshop, or Zbrush you tend to stick right in the middle, and i find allot of the extra couple of inches around that area are just rarely used. Unless your trying to trace a drawing.... then it's a different story.

Other than that, just browse around online checking out reviews, and other opinions.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 13 01-01-2008 , 05:32 AM

Originally posted by DjSneeze

thanks and best regards,
Vick

Like I said I got a simple trust A5 one, its not got all the bells and whistles on but for a starter tablet its great, think it was about £25

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 14 01-01-2008 , 11:56 AM
thanks a lot for info guys ... all though I checked the wacom tablet, I can't see to find any info on that trust tablet ?

Simple Trust is the model ? Or only trust ? I'm confused user added image)

# 15 01-01-2008 , 12:21 PM
Here is a link to the trust tablet. I bought one from here after gster's recommendation a while back and I find it great. Don't use it for maya but for painting textures and the little I've done in zbrush it's so much better than a mouse. I've not used a more expensive one before, but I'm more than happy with this for the price and functionality.

gubar

https://direct.tesco.com/search/defau...=0&confirm.y=0