Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 28-11-2007 , 07:17 AM

Texturing with Maya & Poser

Hello.

I'm not exactly a noob, but I am not professional neither. Anyway here's what I got:

I've been working on this project for quite sometime. Its mostly architectural, but we have recently added figures to the scene. I don't have much experience creating characters in Maya yet, so we have imported them from Poser 7 with the BodyStudio plug-in for Maya.

When the figures (or props, or anything from Poser) is imported it creates this HUGE graph network, that seems way more complex than necessary (i.e. a lot of multiply, divide, placement, etc nodes)

I need an easier way to texture my scene that will not cause Maya to crash when rendering. I keep hearing about BOT textures, and I know a little bit about UV texturing as well. What can I do to optimize this scene? Is there an easy way to convert these complex texture networks down to BOT files and if so how do I do this?

Follow up question: Am I even on the right track?

I would appreciate any insight you all may have.

# 2 28-11-2007 , 07:46 AM
Jr.Who
I don't know if this will help, but have you tried running an Optimize Scene Size operation?

# 3 28-11-2007 , 10:41 AM
Thanks, that did help a bit, but I'm still having issues rendering. I thinik there may be something unstable in the scene causing Maya to crash.

Is it possible to have to many objects in the scene? How much is too much?

# 4 28-11-2007 , 11:43 AM
Jr.Who
Hmm... this sounds odd. It might be a problem with your computer. What are your tech specs?

Also, are there any errors in the script editor?

# 5 28-11-2007 , 07:10 PM
mabey get rid of all the textures and apply basic ones or ones to whatever level you can. Poser most likely made the most high end shading network the creators could in order to get the most out of it. The UV's are already there so it should be simple to re texture and such so long as you mind the colour map, bum map, ect location. Also it sounds a little like your acualy describing transform nodes, in which case you just delete history.

# 6 29-11-2007 , 05:42 AM

Originally posted by Jr.Who
Hmm... this sounds odd. It might be a problem with your computer. What are your tech specs?

Also, are there any errors in the script editor?

XPS 700 desktop
2.6 core 2 duo processor
4 gigs of RAM
currently on a 32 bit OS

I've gotten 'fatal error,' 'free memory low exception thrown'

I ran a render diagnostic and it says the resolutions are too high on most of the figure's textures and to convert them with imgcvt or to use imf_copy to convert the files to mip-map.

I will have you know that I am not very familiar with running Maya through its command prompt.

# 7 29-11-2007 , 06:50 AM
Jr.Who
People here happen to have a bunch of problems with memory and 32-bit OS's. I would assume that you're using Windows (hence the problems :lmao: )?

# 8 29-11-2007 , 08:43 AM

Originally posted by Jr.Who
People here happen to have a bunch of problems with memory and 32-bit OS's. I would assume that you're using Windows (hence the problems :lmao: )?

Low memory happens with any OS, and in this case it might be due to the 32 bit max out of 1.5 gig per process, which would happen due to the 32 bit architecture. If you want some facts and figures bout macs give me an e-mail (used to work for them).

I would probably do what woken said. IVe heard of problems people have had when trying to do what your doing.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 9 29-11-2007 , 02:57 PM
Is it possible then, that there won't be any issues if I switch over to XP 64?

I still think its the poser texture files, but we're in the process of getting the new OS soon. I will see what happens with that, and hopefully it will solve some problems.

Thanks muches