Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 31 19-10-2008 , 04:08 PM
Subscriber
https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=24444

thats my first post, my second work in maya (not counting the 4 months before I found this site and had absolutely no idea what I was doing, putting circles on top of cones and misshaping everything to look like abstract models of nothingness) I never did texture this model like I said I would. I do that a lot with my works unfortunately.

I'm actually still pretty proud of the work I put into that haunted house, I really need to open maya again.

Last edited by Rhetoric Camel; 19-10-2008 at 04:12 PM.
# 32 19-10-2008 , 07:45 PM
Funny, I had thought my first post was asking about the best way to model a Pagoda roof but apparently that came later. Here's my first...2002...nice:

https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...&threadid=2436

Took me a few minutes to remember what I was trying to model. I had bought this book by Mark Giambruno back in the 90s called 3D Graphics and Animation: From Starting Up to Standing Out way before I ever had the opportunity to touch any 3D software but it was the direction I wanted to get into when I left the pro audio world and got into the computer world....the fact that things detoured from 3D to web work is another story. But I digress...When I took up 3D as a hobby, Maya 4 had just come out and so I pulled out the old tome and was trying to come to grips with modeling so I was trying to build the "bladerunner" styled blimp from the book, though it was done in 3D studio R4, iirc. The clover shape mentioned in my old thread was to extrude the blimp. I still remember starting out with NURBS/curves/surfaces and trying to use them for everything (not knowing any better)...yikes.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 33 19-10-2008 , 07:46 PM
Subscriber
i found my temple...

Attached Thumbnails

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 34 20-10-2008 , 01:14 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
everyone has to make that temple if they are gonna learn maya

nice haunted house

# 35 20-10-2008 , 01:47 PM
Acid44
i never madde that temple user added image

# 36 20-10-2008 , 02:04 PM
Level 32 pachyderm

Last edited by elephantinc; 20-10-2008 at 02:11 PM.
# 37 20-10-2008 , 04:28 PM
I never built it either. For me it was the Maya 4 fundamentals book which had a step by step NURBS Haunted House project. Later you created the spooky atmosphere with paintfx, lighting, and a poly creature...this was before Maya had all the poly proxy features and maybe even before CPS (connect poly shape) was around. The poly tut used a bunch of manual mel scripting to build a proxy, IIRC. Still have the book...it's still a good primer resource to have around.

# 38 20-10-2008 , 04:55 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
I learnt from (and im still learning) Learning autodesk maya 2008 foundation

it makes a (rather awful) surfs up scene and a (quite good) penguin model (well good for the time invested)

# 39 20-10-2008 , 06:28 PM
Yeah, I've thumbed through that—it looked like a fun book. I've thought of picking up it's counterpart...the one on character modeling and animation because I like the character style in the short film they use for the tutorials (the whole cartoony "kids with big heads and ridiculously small bodies" thing). I still may pick it up but 3D's not really my priority at the moment so I'm not in any rush. I have plenty of older models I've started and never finished, anyway.

# 40 21-10-2008 , 01:14 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by elephantinc
everyone has to make that temple if they are gonna learn maya

i only found it because you told me my first model wasn't allowed to be what it is...
...i still dont get why my first model is npt allowed to be my first model but meh...

Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
# 41 21-10-2008 , 11:14 AM
Level 32 pachyderm
# 42 21-10-2008 , 12:27 PM
I never made the temple, and I ended up fine user added image

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 43 21-10-2008 , 05:32 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by elephantinc
ITS TOO GOOD!

don't be so jealous :p
i know how it was made and compared to what i've seen everyone else do it's crap!
and also compared to the physical model it's not exact....
it's just a bunch of polygons stuck together because i didn't like NURBS at the time.

# 44 22-10-2008 , 04:31 AM
The Nurb Herd

Originally posted by Chirone
i didn't like NURBS at the time.

user added image and you do now?

btw ...I have never seen any of your work old or new!

@Camel - nice haunted house.

# 45 22-10-2008 , 04:42 AM
Subscriber
my second model was made entierly out of polygons as well

after the first model was made i decided the way i coloured the parts was really badly done, because if i wanted to assign a new shader i'd have to select all the faces with that particular material and then i could reassign the material

so in my next model every part that was a different colour was made as a seperate object, which meant all i had to do was mmb drag the materials onto the objects without having to worry about all the unintended faces turning that colour.

i have posted some of my work up here. i have a finished work (the eye you see in my avatar) and two works in the competition area, one finished (first attempt at using NURBS) and one still being worked on (entirely out of polygons again...)

i've only made three models that didn't come from tutorials. i've been to busy to pump out more work >.<
will be able to work on stuff hopefully after mid novemeber...

later i intend to post another finished work...