Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 19-10-2008 , 05:28 PM

Noob selection question

Ok here is my question, is there a setting that lets me selelect only faces, verticy, edges without having to go to the mask menu and turn them on.

so for example:

I go to a piece and put it in edge mode, can i only select the edges on that piece and not by acciden select a surfice on a non selected piece.

hopefuly its a bit clear, as english is not my first language, sorry

# 2 19-10-2008 , 07:47 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Noob selection question

Originally posted by Havoq
I go to a piece and put it in edge mode, can i only select the edges on that piece and not by acciden select a surfice on a non selected piece. ..

I'm confused because I think that should happen by default or maybe you want backface culling.

- Genny
# 3 19-10-2008 , 07:57 PM
Subscriber
by piece do you mean a geometric object (mesh)?

say like you have 2 cubes (cube1 and cube2), you put cube1 into vertex selection mode and you somehow select the vertex of cube2?

make sure you only put the mesh you want to change in the selection mode.
so hold down the right mouse button while only cube1 is selected and put that into a component (vertex, edge, face) selection mode and you wont be able to select components of cube2

if you don't want to select components that you can't see do as Genny said and switch to backface culling mode,
or you can use the paint selection tool

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 4 20-10-2008 , 02:40 AM
mabe this will clarefy what i mean first i put the gums in vertex mode(or edge).

user added image

then i want to select a vertex(or an edge). So basicly i only wath to select on that peice of geometry but if you drag and klick you might also select the head.

user added image

so is there a setting without going to the mask menu, that will let me select only the activated verticy and not some other piece of geometry.

maybe its a bit clearer now. btw thank you for your help.

# 5 20-10-2008 , 02:56 AM
Super Moderator
Thats because you're probably selecting by hierarchy which I guess its whats giving you the trouble.

Attached Images

- Genny
# 6 20-10-2008 , 07:39 AM
thx, i'll check tonight when i get home, but i think im using that setting, usualy I switch to the setting next to it and select verticy etc. but I think there should be a more intuitive setting for it.

# 7 20-10-2008 , 02:41 PM
Super Moderator
I don't see why, when you could just right click over the object and choose a component.

- Genny
# 8 20-10-2008 , 03:11 PM
found my problem:

Ignore selection priority

Treats all objects with the same priority. The selection order does not matter. The default is off

I had this turned on, if it turned off it wont select surfaces if you are in a component mode on a geometry piece.

thx for your help again.