Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 16 24-12-2009 , 12:34 PM
More done to my set for this, the poly count for the skater and his board is at 9024 (quads, unsmoothed), and the set is at 3761 at the moment, so I'm figuring I'll probably get it under 10000 by the time it's finished, so I may be able to add some trees and plants in there after all.
I'm building it at the moment so there's enough variety of places in it that I'll only have to use one set for this short challenge, then build more after when I continue it.

Here's some wires of the progress, will probably not get much done over Christmas so won't be updating anything til maybe Sunday.

Have a good Xmas all!

Attached Thumbnails
# 17 30-12-2009 , 03:42 PM
Have got my first character rigged, properly!

Never rigged properly before (only played about) so I followed an old DT tutorial to learn some stuff, he's fully working now and have even done the weight painting (what a pain in the arse!) although there are some minor tweaks to do here and there.

But I think he's almost ready to be animated.

Here's a pose I put him in after throwing on some shaders (not final ones).

Will post a screeny of the rig too.

Attached Thumbnails
# 18 30-12-2009 , 03:44 PM
Here's the rig, now I've learnt this much I'll adapt it to my own style in the future, the shapes etc are just copied from the DT tutorial for now.

Attached Images
# 19 30-12-2009 , 10:25 PM
Subscriber
looks like you rigged it pretty well!
which tutorial showed you to make the controls look like that?

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 20 30-12-2009 , 11:30 PM
Cheers Chirone,
was a lot of fun doing it, and I learnt tons. It was from the DT "Character setup in Maya" tutorial, quite an old one, I've had it for ages and am glad I finally got to use it!

Only planned on doing a simple rig, now it's got all sorts of controls for foot rolls, knee locks and a whole load more!

Have started animating him now, I've been out all day so not a lot going on yet but hopefully have him rolling soon.

# 21 31-12-2009 , 07:25 AM
Did a little test last night to see how he's looking when animated, did a playblast of the trick I had him doing and stuck it on Youtube, unfortunately it's 3 seconds long so you can't really see that much...lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg4oq-PZtHY

# 22 01-01-2010 , 01:54 PM
I did actually manage to get something done before midnight last night, not textured and certainly not 20 seconds worth of footage, but rendered all the same.
Needs a bit of work on the landing but it's getting there!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmwtOWFYBto

# 23 01-01-2010 , 10:25 PM
Subscriber
not 20 seconds... geez, old timer get moving!!!

kidding, it's really awesome!
smooth

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 24 02-01-2010 , 01:28 AM
Thanks Chirone, I'm loving doing this, the only problem I've come across so far is re-opening the file afterwards seems to have left some weird deformations on his chest, it happened on another file too. Not at all sure why, have to sort that out before I do too much more!

# 25 02-01-2010 , 12:56 PM
Think I got the problem with the deformations sorted, and have done a second render of another trick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQNIdm0CuOc

More to come soon, and I will actually start texturing these at some point too, just getting a bit carried away with the animating part at the moment....lol.

# 26 02-01-2010 , 01:14 PM
Subscriber
Gavin, it made me smile and laugh!! I really like the work and the thought you have put in it!! Really have come along way!! Nice job!!!

Challenge me and I will try. Because If I should fail, failure also has a prize (Knowledge).
# 27 02-01-2010 , 01:47 PM
Thanks Tom!

It's getting there, and I'm learning a lot through doing it.
Glad you're liking it so far!

It's taking about 2-3 hours so far to get one trick done, so I'm figuring if I spend a little more time on each one to make them a little smoother, maybe double that, (and get them textured before I do it!) it shouldn't take too long to get a 20-30 second clip up and running.
I comped the two tricks together in After Effects and the time of the two stands at 8 seconds, so I'm figuring about 5 tricks and a bit at the end where he misses the board and drops will make it around 25 seconds in all.

These are just testers at the moment though, I'll do all new tricks for the final animation.

Hopefully more to come soon!

# 28 03-01-2010 , 12:44 AM
# 29 03-01-2010 , 01:47 AM
Subscriber
are you animating frame by frame or are you using some gravity or something like that with this? Looking pretty good, I haven't dabbled in animation yet but when I do it will be epic... EPIC I SAY! hahah

Great job!

# 30 03-01-2010 , 01:54 AM
Subscriber
Gavin, my friend you really do amaze me!! I have not a clue how you guys do the animation and stuff like that, but does not mean I can not appreciate nice work. I am enjoying much watching what you are doing!!

Challenge me and I will try. Because If I should fail, failure also has a prize (Knowledge).