Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 07-07-2010 , 08:07 PM

Frosted Glass ...

What is the best method for creating frosted glass? I'm using Maya 2011 on a Mac Pro. Tried Mental Rays mia_material with the "Frosted Glass" preset with no luck.

# 2 07-07-2010 , 10:32 PM
The Nurb Herd

Re: Frosted Glass ...

why no luck?

# 3 08-07-2010 , 04:58 PM
Here is my problem. Everything remains the same. I simply switch from the “Thin Glass” preset to the “Frosted Glass” preset. What gives ???

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 08-07-2010 , 08:39 PM
The Nurb Herd
are you using sun and sky lighting?
you could increase your raytrace settings and try some direct lighting.

# 5 08-07-2010 , 09:05 PM
No. I'm using a simple HDRI. It's working fine for the "Thin Glass". I've noticed I can rid myself of that crazy dark shape that shows up, as well as the top surface shine by decreasing the refraction index to 1 instead of 1.5. But I'm still not sure that is the way to go. I'm just stumped as to why just switching presets isn't working as expected.

# 6 09-07-2010 , 04:04 AM
Just looking at your settings, I'd have to agree, that's looking a bit odd for a frost glass preset. I've never tried using frost glass with an HDRI image though. Adjusting the refraction does adjust the way the light bends (changes direction) as it goes through the glass but still, I would think the glass would at least keep the frosty look even if the refraction was too high or too low.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!