Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 28-02-2011 , 06:37 AM

Render Help

Can anyone please tell me what Im doing wrong? The trees are oakWhiteMedium from the visor, Modify>Paint Effects to Polygons. The grass is grassBermuda and is not converted to polygons. As you can see by these pics they somehow interact and the leaves vanish in the grass. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Terry
(Sorry, I did a quick test and converted the grass to polygons, that seems to work better, but if I convert all the grass to polygons I think it will crash Maya, it did before).

Okay I think Falott had the answer in another thread.

Attached Images

Last edited by TerryG; 28-02-2011 at 08:54 PM.
# 2 03-03-2011 , 10:32 AM
Hmmm, ideally the grass would be done on cards of some sort depending on the level of detail / distance.
Perhaps converting to nurbs does this ???

But basically if the grass if far far away you could deal with large chunks textured onto polygons, and as they get closer to camera the chunks get smaller and smaller to get the paralax / depth you need.

The grass being drawn infront of your converted bushes is due to the grass being rendered as a post process as it is un un-converted paint effect.

Maya renders your scene without the grass then calculates the grass and just pops it on top. This isnt best practice and should be avoided, however you could just render the grass seperately and layer the other elements in afterwards. This would only really look good if you could get a z depth channel out for the grass which im not sure is possible with post rendered paint effects elements.

FX supervisor - double negative