Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 27-11-2006 , 11:28 PM

Lighting issue....

Ok, I've basically been doing this a lot lately->:headbang:

I've been working on a small scene for a bit now, and everything is pretty much done. But, unfortunately, I kinda suck at lighting. I need some help!

Basically, I am doing a small apartment interior, all cel-shaded. I have all of the shaders finished and now I've hit almost a standstill. I have tried time and time again to light the scene, but for every time something looks the way I want it to, it makes something else look not so good. I have tried light linking for things like the fridge and stove light, but I can't even get those to light. In the scene, for main lighting of the main space, I have 2 ceiling dome lights, a floor lamp, and a bulb hanging down from the ceiling in 1 area. I've tried Point Lights everywhere, but that wasn't very good. Right now, I've been toying with spotlights everywhere, but that isn't a desired look either. It looks good in some areas, but other areas that shouldn't be dark are for some reason. Can someone please give me some pointers, or point me towards a good tute, on what types of lights to use, and where?!

As always, any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Eric Tacti
3D Artist
# 2 28-11-2006 , 01:41 AM
Subscriber
Your going to hate me saying this, but practise makes perfect.

For the bulbs, and lights themselves etc. try adding a glow effect on them.

For lighting itself, www.learningmaya.com

those who succeed are only the failures that never gave up.

https://www.vimeo.com/7080130
# 3 28-11-2006 , 05:03 AM
Yes, you're right, I do hate you now:p

I know practice makes almost perfect. I just needed someone to point me in the right direction to practice in.

I'm gonna check that tute you provided. Hopefully, it will work. Thanks!

Eric Tacti
3D Artist
# 4 28-11-2006 , 06:12 PM
one nice thing about lighting in 3D is that you don't have to stick your lights only where the modeled lights are. if you find that there are objects not lit properly or enough, you can create lights that are linked to only improve the illumination of those objects. it does take a bit of tinkering (which i think is why people would rather just use hdri/mental ray or maxwell or indigo... they don't want to learn how to light), but in the end it's worth knowing how to do it.

Accept no substitutions.
# 5 28-11-2006 , 07:01 PM

# 6 29-11-2006 , 02:40 AM
Ok, I'm still working on the tutes. I'll let you know if I find something that works.

Thanks a lot, guys, for all of your help. Much appreciated!!

user added image

Eric Tacti
3D Artist