Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 16-07-2012 , 01:53 AM

Other polygon (Extrude tool) is not being affected by rotating a particular shape.

Firstly, I really apologise if I haven't explained this very well in the title.
Secondly I also apologise if this has already been explained in a particular thread or if this has been posted in the wrong section of the forums.

I have been trying to create a game map, and I have been using the Edit mesh>Extrude tool to produce a cube polygon out of another cube polygon.

Now, as I move, rotate one of the cubes, the other cube, or whichever shape it can be...should be affected somehow, by other moving along with the shape that's being rotated.

However, as I rotate the cube, the other cube which had been produced using the Extrude tool, isn't moving or being affected. This usually never used to happen....and I would appreciate if someone could give me some insight into what it is, that is preventing me from having the extruded cube not moving as I rotate the original cube polygon.

Hope this makes sense... :argh:

Thanks.

# 2 16-07-2012 , 02:47 AM
I have no clue what you are trying to explain. sorry

Maybe if you include some screen shots showing what is happening along with a description of what you think should be happening it would help us to understand.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 16-07-2012 at 02:50 AM.
# 3 16-07-2012 , 05:01 AM
Lifetime Member
I agree with ctbram, screenshots please. What kind of game map are you making? and why cubes?

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 4 16-07-2012 , 01:19 PM
Sorry for being a pain in the *****..

I do apologise if I'm asking a noobish question...

I hope the image isn't too confusing.

Basically...I'm trying to rotate the small cube.

The tutorial which I'm following is prompting me to rotate that small cube, but as I do...the two rectangle polygons need to somehow move along with it at the same time...

Usually when I'm using the extruding tool, other shapes are affected somehow and also get moved or scaled or rotated when I move another shape.

Hope this makes sense.

My problem which I'm having is that, I can only rotate that small cube by itself, however usually when I rotate one shape, the others get affected and somehow get moved or manipulated...

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by anoop101; 16-07-2012 at 01:23 PM.
# 5 16-07-2012 , 01:40 PM
I still have no clue what you are trying to do but lets start to unravel it shall we...

Terms

- shape to me means an object and I see one polygonal object in the scene.
- what I see your lines pointing towards are poly faces which are "components"

So far I have deduced you are trying to do something with the small rectangular poly face that is in the yz plane and have that somehow affect the two large poly faces that are in the xz plane??

But I don't know what you specifically want to do to the small yz poly face and what you are expecting it to do to the two large xz poly faces??? You are saying you want to rotate the small polyface and have it also rotate the two larger polyfaces I just don't know what you mean by it! I mean if you want to rotate the three polyfaces then select them all, set a pivot point and rotate them! It seems you are describing some mystical connection between the small poly face and the two larger polyfaces and seem to think you can manipulate just one and have it affect the other two?

Maybe tell us what tutorial you are trying to follow and the point you are at so we can see what the tutorial is telling you to do and what to expect would help us? Is it from a book, something online, something we can look at?

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 16-07-2012 at 05:01 PM.
# 6 16-07-2012 , 05:18 PM
Super Moderator
I'm confused and curious as to how the extrude tool fits into whats being described @_@. Rotate along what axes? How will rotating those faces not distort other faces that share the verts? As I said, I'm confused. Do you mean "extract"? If that's the case then it would be a step towards me understanding whats going on here.

- Genny
# 7 16-07-2012 , 05:28 PM
Lifetime Member
Umm not really sure either but here is a quick video of what I can understand you are trying to do.

from the screenshot it looks like you have just one object but perhaps you need to separate them like I do at one point in the video and then you can set one of the objects as the driving force and cause the other to become the driven by setting specific animation keys but if this is for a game I doubt that is the route you are wanting to take.

https://screencast.com/t/c1VppFRb

- Jake
# 8 16-07-2012 , 07:23 PM
good video jov.

I am curious to figure out what he is trying to do at this point.