Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 106 19-04-2012 , 04:52 AM
Technical Director

Hi honestdom,

Why is limited? Would you recommend any other software? user added image

I registered for the Facial Animation Toolset at https://research.animationsinstitut.de/44.0.html and got the download link. Will have a spin on it after work Today.

Wow... This thread was started in 2005 user added image

I also have the FAT, and it's awesome; I absolutely love it. It also comes with an application called Frapper, which will do exactly what you want.

Face robot is another alternative.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Last edited by NextDesign; 19-04-2012 at 04:55 AM.
# 107 19-04-2012 , 05:21 AM
Lifetime Member

Wow... This thread was started in 2005 user added image

I also have the FAT, and it's awesome; I absolutely love it. It also comes with an application called Frapper, which will do exactly what you want.

Face robot is another alternative.

Awesome! You will be the Man appointed to guide me then ! ahhahahahahahaha, I'm kidding, but any help is definitely very much appreciated ND.

I just downloaded it this morning before going to work. Fired up the plugin for Maya and ran some quick tests with the UI. Very interesting.

Just a quick question for now, does FAT track eyes movement too?

Cheers.

# 108 19-04-2012 , 05:49 AM
Technical Director
FAT has a lot of tools in it.

The AFS doesn't do motion capture, but sets up a rig for you to animate on.

Once you have this rig, you can either animate it by hand, or use their Frapper application to generate the animation for you.

# 109 19-04-2012 , 05:52 AM
Lifetime Member
I was just reading this page https://wiki.animationsinstitut.de/do...oolset:afs2012 and pretty much came to the same conclusion as well.
I thought it would do though.

However, for what I understand, it allows you to attach your motion captured data and hook it into FAT.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

For FaceRobot, it looks like that it comes only for Softimage. Not Maya.

# 110 19-04-2012 , 05:54 AM
Technical Director
Yes, the Frapper application gives you animation curves that can be mapped onto any AFS-rigged character.

# 111 19-04-2012 , 06:00 AM
Lifetime Member
I think what I'm going to do is really take baby steps here.

1. Import a new base mesh and transfer (clone) the animation back into the new mesh.
2. Create my own facial mocap expression, then bring it on and test in the FAT sys.
3. Transfer the mocap.......

Man.... this is looking very very complicated.

P.S. As long I know how to transfer my facial capture in FAT to their native rig and export that info into Maya, I think is a big achievement. Then is matter of tweaking... well, at least this is my humble thinking...

Last edited by cgisoul; 19-04-2012 at 06:20 AM.
# 112 19-04-2012 , 08:21 AM
The thin red line
cgisoul have you had a look at face robot I think you get it with softimage..........dave

# 113 19-04-2012 , 11:25 AM
Lifetime Member
Hi dave,

I will try that. I heard and saw a lot of face robot the last few years. Never thought I would be so interested in animation mocap as I am nowadays. Specially after experiencing the ipisoft.

Will definitely try that one too and see what fits better for my brain user added image

Hope the videos I made showing the ipisoft maya workflow was of your interest user added image

Cheers and thank you for the suggestions everyone.

I will start a new thread later talking about my findings.

Cheers.