Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 13-11-2002 , 04:53 PM

Lights in isolation

Hi,

As I have read in the book of Jerem Birn (Digital Lightning and Rendering) it is advised to check the lights in isolation to discover anomalies caused by incorrect light positions and settings.

In Maya, when using the "Lightning/Use selected Lights" works this way, but only in the perspective and other orthografic windows... as I tried it does not change in the IPR and in the final render windows.

So when e.g none of the lights is turned on (none of them selected, Use selected Lights is choosen and total darkness is in the scene), but IPR and the final renderer too keeps rendering it with full light setup.. so how to do to render once only with "this lamp" then only with "that lamp" then "both together"..

It would be very tedious to set the light intensities to 0 each time I would like to switch a light off.

Thanks!

# 2 13-11-2002 , 11:36 PM
Lifetime Member
bacizone,

This is off-topic but, how is the book? Is it worth it to get?

Thanks!

# 3 14-11-2002 , 12:19 AM
SM Alumni
I never looked for another way other than turning off all but one light and then the turning the next on, then the next,etc. But I don't work that way all the time so it's not such a big deal for me. I'm usually more concerned with what the collective effect is rather than the individual effect of the lights, singularly they may look great but altogether they may be a mess. I think lighting is the hardest thing to master in any 3d program!

Darkon

Red bellows of flame have blackened my stones
Convulsing my frame and cracking my bones
Hell's dragons of steel who roar in their chains
Crawl into my caves to suck out my veins.....

-The Mountain P.F.M.
# 4 14-11-2002 , 06:54 AM
Yes, that book is definately worth its price. It enlightened me several issues possible with ligtnings and has also includes descriptions of some cool thing, like HDRI, global illumination algorithms, texturing!!!.

Genereally it does not give you program specific solutions, or step-by-step tutorials, etc.. but gives you a nice general overview of lots of 3d related topics, but takes the lightning and related topics much deeper.

I suggest you to read the amazon.com reviews too and may check also the Digital Textureing and Painting from that publisher.

bye,
Bacizone

# 5 14-11-2002 , 07:11 AM
There´s a MelScript in CGtalk that actually performs the operation for you, although I don´t remember where it was ... it´s based on a feature used in ILM called SoloRender, you choose the light, execute the script and it renders that light only.