Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 166 06-08-2007 , 06:59 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
@arran;
I did as you requested and then some; i've added a specular, translucence map and i used the displacement-file also as a bump(with a very low value like 0.03).
And here's the result.
Thanks for the heads-up mate

Attached Thumbnails
# 167 06-08-2007 , 07:04 PM
C O O L !!!!!!!!!! :attn: :attn: :attn:

# 168 07-08-2007 , 05:08 AM
thanks man user added image

# 169 07-08-2007 , 06:26 AM
Subscriber
Looking very good there m8, but why such a large picture? Aren't we limited to 800 x 600.

My only criticism is the bump lines on the face... They seem just a tad too deep but Yoda is quite old I suppose user added image

Tickety boo and ta ta for a bit...
Gazzamataz
https://www.gazzamataz.com
# 170 07-08-2007 , 06:40 AM
Coming along nicely.

I would agree that hes a bit too wrinkled, but if its youf first go with Zbrush its hard to get it looking right with out practice.

also Maya does recognise the 32 bit tif format, you have to switch it on in the plug in manager.

As for the .map files theres a converter thats available on zbrush central, worth getting a copy.

Just as a matter in interest could you do a side by side render with and withoug the specular map, as I'm not really seeing the difference in the two pics (probably just me!)

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle

Last edited by gster123; 07-08-2007 at 06:42 AM.
# 171 07-08-2007 , 08:45 AM
@gazzamattaz(couldn't you pick an easier name?:p )
user added image

" Looking very good there m8, but why such a large picture? Aren't we limited to 800 x 600."

I forgot to resize it in photoshop, but on my defence it was very late when i finished it.so i'm sorry if i gave you a bit of a scare:p

"
My only criticism is the bump lines on the face... They seem just a tad too deep"

It depends greatly from witch image you are comparing, and i personally think it gives him a lot more character

@gster;

user added image

and a side by side image

Attached Thumbnails
# 172 07-08-2007 , 08:55 AM
Jr.Who
Cool project, but there’s just a couple of things off. His ears look like they are too high, his skin color doesn’t seem right to me, and I’d have to agree with the lines on his face being too thick. Check out these pics:

user added image
user added image

user added image

# 173 07-08-2007 , 10:43 AM
Ears; I think that's because the yoda in most pictures has is ears almost horizontally, mine isn't(don't know why), but if there is a difference it's probably in the basewidth of the ear and it's only a matter of pulling some points down on top of the base of the ear.
But i will look into it.
skincolor;
This was the first time i painted a texture by hand(= a reason not an excuse), so there are probably a couple(if not a bunch)mistakes i made.
But to be honest i'm quite happy with it , if you look at the attached image then you will see that the color varies alot(because of lighting and so on..)
facial creases; if one person says it it could be lie, when two are saying it it's a possible conspiracy, but when 3 people are saying it i must swallow my pride and admit it's just a little bit off, but not much
:lmao:
so i will look into that aswell:shakehead

And thanks guys for your relentheless honesty, if anyone else sees something now is the time to say it:rant: (or just say nothing, letting me life with my illusions:p )

Attached Thumbnails
# 174 07-08-2007 , 03:31 PM
Still looking sweet! I like the texture work you have done with him! KUTGW

Sparticus

Expect to excell...
# 175 08-08-2007 , 03:23 AM
Subscriber

@gazzamattaz(couldn't you pick an easier name?

user added image I didn't choose it I was given it and it kinda stuck user added image

I like that image comparing the non-specular to the specular, it really shows what a difference a specular map makes.

I am not sure if I am correct, but I think a lot of people don't bother with a specular map - never used to but I will now.

Tickety boo and ta ta for a bit...
Gazzamataz
https://www.gazzamataz.com
# 176 08-08-2007 , 04:38 AM
Hey Mastone,

Have a look ar DrJulians Texturing tutorial as I think your spec map does add to him but not in the way I would have expected, for example his ears are not as shiney as what youve got them, plus the material looks like it could do with a tweek as its not shiney where the light hits the bits on the spec map.

Looking at the pics you posted as ref, the spec is really promanant on the top of the head/forehead, the lips and the tops of the ears.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 177 08-08-2007 , 05:24 AM
@gazzamataz;you pick strange names on planet apple, very strange:p
@
gster123;thanks and i will look into it

# 178 09-08-2007 , 08:52 AM
I've just finished with modeling an opponent, i will start laying out uv's shortly, but i hope everybody recognizes what it is.
I will look into yoda when i've completely done this character, so that i can look at it with a clear view

Attached Thumbnails
# 179 11-08-2007 , 06:16 AM
Now i've finally finished the rancor...... or at least i thought i did.
I layed out the uv's(non overlapping) then imported the model in z brush, once there i found out that the feet were not finished so i exported them back into maya were i added some edgeloops, so i mapped the feet again and put the newly made shells back in the 0-1 range also non-overlapping, but when i was finished sculpting and wanted to make a color map i saw a "nice"stripe going through the entire texture.
Now i know i f*cked it up but is there an (easy)way to solve this, or am i better of remapping and styling the entire thing again.
I've included a zbrushrender to show what might have been

oh and gster is the 32 bit plugin called float tiff reader?

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by mastone; 11-08-2007 at 06:21 AM.
# 180 12-08-2007 , 05:27 AM
And here's the maya render of the rancor , i used the same maps as i did with the yoda.
hope you like it
user added image

Attached Thumbnails