Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 14-07-2007 , 09:56 PM
Subscriber

Maya PLE SOS

I had Maya 7 PLE installed on my PC. A few days ago while freeing up some space I deleted some files. I got a message stating that some of the files attached were attached to other programs and might cause them to function incorrectly. After this when I tried opening Maya 7 PLE I got an error message to do with the Maya.exe file and Maya closes. I then downloaded Maya 8.5 PLE and tried to run this program but got the same result. Maya seems to be the only program that has been affected by the file removal. I have tried multiple uninstalls and reinstalls of both versions of Maya and also System restores but with no luck.

Can anyone help, its driving me round the bend:angery:

Thanks

# 2 14-07-2007 , 10:30 PM
If the files you have removed belong to your OS, thats why reinstalling Maya won't fix it since it won't contain a copy of the missing files.

What OS are you using exactly?

If its Windows your using and you can remember what files you've deleted, you can go back to your install disks and then extract the missing files from the archives and into where they are supposed to go. This may not work though since the files may need to be registered by Windows.

You could try recovering your files with file recovery software but since you've mentioned you have modified the contents of your drive after you've removed the files, this is most likely impossible. You'll probaly have to reinstall your entire PC.

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!
# 3 14-07-2007 , 11:13 PM
Subscriber
I'm using win XP but I can't remember what files I was deleting it was a whole folder of what I thought was Junk.....Obviously I was wrong!!!!

I'll try a file recovery to see. Don't fancy reinstalling my whole PC as this would be a real pain as I have about 50gb of music on one of my drives and loads of other stuff on the other one. As i said Maya seems to be the only program affected and it states prob with Maya.exe file

# 4 15-07-2007 , 03:26 AM
Senior Software Developer
What directory did you delete?

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 5 15-07-2007 , 03:40 AM
Subscriber
Not sure what directory it was but it was in a folder that contained other downloaded stuff like textures and art stuff I didnt think that there was any maya files in it as it had been installed in another folder in PC

# 6 15-07-2007 , 04:05 AM
Senior Software Developer
All I can suggest then is a system restore...

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 7 15-07-2007 , 09:39 PM
If you've deleted something in a Maya folder, reinstalling it should fix it. Since you've mentioned you have been installing both Maya 7 PLE and Maya 8 PLE, did you get rid of every single little bit of the older version before installing the newer one?

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!
# 8 15-07-2007 , 09:51 PM

Originally posted by R@nSiD
All I can suggest then is a system restore...

Amen bro, thats what I would do, if that dosent work it looks like a reinstall of windows, just copy all your docs onto a spare drive, disconnect the drive (to be on the safe side that you dont format that) and re install windows, and remember the 12th commandment "thou shall not bugger about with stuff you know nothing about" especially when it comes to deleting things within windows.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle