Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 07-08-2008 , 03:06 AM

Z Brush 3

So I saw the Z Brush 3 demo reel,I have known of Zbrush for a year or so but I have know much about it. I would like to learn(teach myself) it but then again i've am just starting to get some skill(sorta,sill trying to be undeemed a newbie user added image ) with maya so is it a good idea to use Zbrush for my organic needs and use maya for everything else ?

Last edited by jm82792; 07-08-2008 at 04:04 AM.
# 2 07-08-2008 , 05:49 AM
Super Moderator
I'd say Zbrush is really really nice to have (not really necessary) but you may be stretching yourself a bit thin if you're just starting out with learning a heavy hitter like Maya.

- Genny
# 3 07-08-2008 , 06:46 AM
Subscriber
yeah, i haven't started with ZBrush yet, amazingly it's pretty cheap... well, it doesnt cost more than all my computer hardware unlike the major 3d players (excluding the free ones)

but you should probably try to get your head around Maya first, unless you're like me and have to learn lots of things all at once, i wouldnt worry about it yet.

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 4 07-08-2008 , 08:25 AM
Learn maya first and the principles of modeling, then get Z, not that you cant do it all in Z but you'll learn more with maya IMHO

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 5 07-08-2008 , 02:50 PM
Subscriber
Have you looked at Mudbox, that is very similar to Zbrush, admittedly it doesn't have all the features of Zbrush yet but it is inccedibly easy to pick up once you are used to a traditional 3D package like Maya or Max. Its layout and mouse controls are very simple to pick up and theres a lot of info on forums about it. Unfortunatly the new version coming out does not have the texturing facilities that Zbrush has but it does have some other very useful bits n pieces.

Chris

# 6 07-08-2008 , 04:42 PM
It's not like I'm totally new to the scene of maya,I just havn't gottent to the point where I can say I can do everything some things better than others. I know the "basics" I havn't branched(very much) into dynamics too much,the trax editor,more understanding of the shader node network, bendshapes and so on. I havn't gotten into the more advanced features but I have gotten over the learning curve. I've been doing Maya on and off since september 07 on and off... I guess I will just do tutorials for the Maya features I don't know one by one and add that to projects for rewarding "fun". Then, I don't know like next year I'll go into Zbrush since mudbox is easier to use but I'd rather have the texturing capacity. And no I don't have to learn it all I'm 15 and have no pressure to learn user added image

# 7 08-08-2008 , 06:38 AM
Subscriber
and someone in another thread was talking about how Pixologic had announced Zbrush 4 to be released (was it sometime in the near future? or far off?)

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 8 08-08-2008 , 10:24 AM
Subscriber
Zbrush 4 :angery: Still waiting on Zbrush3 for Mac :headbang:

# 9 08-08-2008 , 11:03 PM
Thats my primary reason for not getting a Mac user added image
As I said I'll just let Maya Brew into my brain for a few more months.