Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 02-09-2013 , 10:23 PM
Subscriber

NormMaps coming out blank...

Hi Folks

Running Maya2013 and frustrated after hours of just trying to problem solve this issue. It seems silly enough but I am getting blank maps from Maya.

I am enclosing an image of my 'current' settings as I have changed settings ten different ways at this point; trying a variety of options with no success.

I have even removed any excess or all materials... assigned new - still nothing.

Ready to kick thingsuser added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 03-09-2013 , 03:35 AM
Super Moderator
Is the target mesh enclosed inside the source mesh?

- Genny
# 3 03-09-2013 , 06:27 AM
Subscriber
Yes, I place them right on top of each other (same placement cntrl d would place a dup). I should mention that I am using a plugin to decrease poly in my mesh - that wouldnt have anything to do with the outcome of maps would it? Thanks for your reply.

# 4 04-09-2013 , 10:46 AM
Super Moderator
Check the UV's on the object. It could be that there aren't any and you need to lay them out.

- Genny
# 5 04-09-2013 , 02:49 PM
Subscriber
Ok good idea - hadnt thought of that...will check today and get back... thank you

# 6 23-10-2013 , 10:49 AM
Subscriber
Hi there again,

After an arduous month of business flight I am at this again a bit more steadily. I have purchased the tutorial "Mastering UV layout" so that I can get beyond this normal map problem that I had been having in my initial post here. I did find that the previous suggestion was correct; the UVs were either non-existent or were not laid out properly as I see from the tutorials.

I am currently working on the hand tutorial and found the need to ask a question about the instructor's settings. I am following step by step but getting different results as shown in these two images.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/crnhn643szia8co/mine.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8c8oys4y858vsmc/tut_vs.png

(Edited) Found the issue - a little tiny edge was not selected user added image through the whole darn thing off. Ok still working on this issue.

Last edited by LadyDiva; 23-10-2013 at 01:00 PM.