Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 01-09-2003 , 09:54 PM
Subscriber

Buying Maya

Okay, so I'm going to spend three thousand dollars on Maya now, no more watermarks for me.

On the Maya site they are also selling "Maya Technique" DVD series, and "Learning Maya 5" book series. Any one recommand these?

# 2 01-09-2003 , 10:05 PM
Subscriber
I purchased a DVD from Alias a while back that explained how to map out uv's for texturing and I was extremely disapointed. The information was fine, but the two things that really, really held it back were the quality of the DVD and how the information was given. The image was extremely grainy. You could not make out the numbers in the channel box for instance. It was straining my eyes a lot. The information was god, but the guy doing the movie spent an unholy amount of time telling you what he was going to do before he did it. That time could have been spent actually doing it or saving space on the DVD for something else. Watching him move vertices around and talk in his dull voice was murder. I seriously almost fell asleep watching it which has never happened in my life before.

It took me about a month or so to watch it for a second time. I sped through the majority of it on that occassion and tried to pick out the good parts where I knew I needed help. It DID teach me how to manipulate UV's and stuff, and I probably would have had a difficult time learning otherwise, but it was a rocky road.

I highly recommend you download the free tutorials here at Simply Maya FIRST. Buy some points (they are extremely cheap when you consider what you're getting) and download some VIP tutorials after that. Truthfully, I think once you watch some tutorials, you will know enough about Maya so that you can ask more questions on the forum and find answers that way.

# 3 01-09-2003 , 10:22 PM
SM Tea Boy

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 4 03-09-2003 , 12:34 PM
user title spammer
Yes, the AW-DVDs aren´t really any good. I bought a maya-promo pack, and it had an "Fluids"-DVD included. it was nice watching, but it didn´t help in ANY way, it was rather "look at the great effects we did (but we wont tell you how)" ...

But why spending 3000 bucks? Maya Complete is 1999 right ?

# 5 03-09-2003 , 01:06 PM
Vampus
Exchange rate, my dear boy.user added image

# 6 03-09-2003 , 01:50 PM
user title spammer
exchange rate? ahh, he means canadian dollars?

# 7 03-09-2003 , 05:18 PM
Subscriber
Canadian all right, the dollars are already gone out the window. Thanks for the advise, I didn't buy any extras, I wanted to find out more tutorials online before I have to pay lots for them. Digital tutors are pretty good.

# 8 03-09-2003 , 05:40 PM
David,

The quality is great! I really like it... are all of the dragon tutorials like that? Thanks,
Brian

Please check
My (old) website!
# 9 03-09-2003 , 08:47 PM
[Mod edit]

Please remember to use the Tutorials Database available here.

Last edited by adldesigner; 03-09-2003 at 09:43 PM.