Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 28-08-2003 , 05:09 PM

How do ya texture a cube?

Here's my dilemma. I want to make a textured cube. Cubes have six sides, I have six textures. I'm making a simple children's ABC block. The problem is this: I can't figure out how to get each side to have a different texture. As soon as I change one, all the others change with it.
Thanks, and cool site.

# 2 28-08-2003 , 05:21 PM
What you want to do is UV map your cube. I believe mtmckinly has a good tut on his site for this (just do a search). after that, you can paint all six sides into one image and apply that to the cube.

You could also apply 6 different textures to each seperate face. I'd go with the Uv mapping though.

________

- Jacob
# 3 28-08-2003 , 05:21 PM
OK Man, use Planar Mapping from all 6 sides and put all of them into your UV thingmabobbin then save the UV Screenshot, texture all 6 sides then save that file, and put the skin into the mesh and wollah you got a 6-sided block cube user added image

# 4 28-08-2003 , 06:02 PM
The Maya Mountain
A cube comes with UVs. It's only after you modify its geometry would you need to UV map it.

# 5 28-08-2003 , 06:16 PM

Originally posted by Blinn
I believe mtmckinly has a good tut on his site for this (just do a search).

Is that the one where you make a 6 sided die? That one was a bit of a breakthrough on texturing for me. Once I went through it, I was like "ooooh! so that's how you do it!!" user added image