Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 16 18-06-2013 , 06:19 PM
I may not be a max to Maya user (more a Blender to Maya user added image (bloody college... >v>)), but this thread is a lifesaver! user added image So it has a lovely little place in my special bookmarks. user added image

Edit; forgot about this as well;

Problem 1 - when you bridge it does not merge the edges on the sides. Go to the polygon display options and turn on display border edges and make them thicker and you will see you have open edges after the bridge. A better way to do this in Maya, especially for just filling in one missing polygon is to use the Fill Hole command.

Where would I find this option? I'm still trying to find things like shade smooth/flat too... too many menus! D:

Last edited by LCWilliams; 18-06-2013 at 06:22 PM.
# 17 18-06-2013 , 07:33 PM
Super Moderator
I understand the feeling about the many menus lol. The Polygon display options are under the "Display" menu, which is in the main menu set between "Create" and "Window", can't miss it. Display>Polygons and "custom polygon display" options near the bottom give you access to all of same items in the menu plus extra stuff, so pick your poison.

Smooth/Flat shade modes can be found under the "Shading " menu at the top of your 3D workspace panels.

- Genny
# 18 18-06-2013 , 08:30 PM

I understand the feeling about the many menus lol. The Polygon display options are under the "Display" menu, which is in the main menu set between "Create" and "Window", can't miss it. Display>Polygons and "custom polygon display" options near the bottom give you access to all of same items in the menu plus extra stuff, so pick your poison.

Smooth/Flat shade modes can be found under the "Shading " menu at the top of your 3D workspace panels.

Horah! No more dodgy bridging user added image Must remember either extrude and merge verts or fill. *removes that bridge* user added image

I think there seems to be a slight bit of miscommunication on the 2nd part, my tutor created a custom shelf which had shade smooth & shade flat buttons, which I can't create from shift clicking the options found in the 3D Shading menu; these buttons would shade the selected face/object either flat or smooth in all the viewports and "literally" shade it... if I'm making any sense?

EDIT: found his shelf in the mist of badly organized files (yet for some reason he nags us (well, my peers) about not following a folder structure. :I)
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nvpgpwajy...lyModeling.mel

EDIT 2: Found the little buggers! Under "Polygons" -> Normals -> Soften/Harden edge

Last edited by LCWilliams; 18-06-2013 at 09:40 PM.
# 19 13-07-2013 , 07:04 PM
Subscriber
There is a downloadable sheet with terms from each software and short cut keys , I believe Autdoesk does still have it available.

All the terms in each software where developed apart from each other. Prior to being aquired by Autodesk.

EG: X is up in Max and Y is up in Maya.

Basic shaders are not the same either.

Mental Ray UI is also different as well, in both sofwares.

I worked on both teams for years and was the only QA that drove both.

The problem lies in the fact that you have many users on either side who would be very upset if one day you released a new version of Max and they had to now learn Maya terms and interface.

Not to mention no more Modifier Stack.!!

Sales would drop through the roof so that is why they are kept the way they are. Seperate.

Last edited by BldRnr; 13-07-2013 at 07:06 PM.
# 20 04-02-2014 , 01:34 PM
why dont just use fill hole tool in maya when u have a connected topology instead using bridges. bridges is good for
work on mesh which dont have connectivity to the other its simple way to learn by logic bridge what word means defines joining the two ends maya uses human logical words tool in terms of modeling hmmm
or u can do as usual bridge then merge verticses too XDuser added image

# 21 24-09-2014 , 10:23 PM

Mesh problems

Hi there.
I have been experiencing some mesh problems when modelling using the extrude tool, to extrude edges.

I have followed this series of tutorials, and copied everything the tutor has done almost perfectly. Yet still I am faced with this problem, where none exists in the tutorial video. I am also using the exact same version of Maya. This also happened when building up the torso. I have tried deleting faces and re-extruding those edges, but to no avail.

Here is the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9wehgCLS0w

See below the images to illustrate what I am referring to.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Any help much appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails
# 22 25-09-2014 , 12:24 AM
Lifetime Member
Make sure you have keep faces together checked under polygons>edit mesh. Also it appears that you need to merge the vertices on your object. Select the verts that need welding and go to edit mesh>merge.

Cheers, the Yeti.
# 23 25-09-2014 , 08:13 PM
Thanks for the suggestion.

I just checked, and "keep faces together" is checked, also the points are all merged, something I double-checked every time I was faced with this problem.

# 24 25-09-2014 , 09:36 PM
Lifetime Member
Could you upload your file here so I can have a look at it.

...maybe check the normals, are they all facing the same way?

Cheers, the Yeti.