Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 07-12-2003 , 10:58 PM
Subscriber

How good computer do I need?

I was just wandering...With my AXP 2200+, 256 mb DDR,R900 I have no problems with the models belowe 100 000 polys. If it's higher, it runs slow. So I was wandering, how good computer do I need for example if I would like to make verry complex scene with about 1 milion polys? I know once there was a guy that posted model with 700 000 polys not smoothed, and 2 milions smoothed? How can he make something like that?

So, how good computer do I need for this?
Tnx!

# 2 07-12-2003 , 11:24 PM
Subscriber
I always work with the unsmoothed.. and smooth for renders.. mine's like that slows down around 50,000 on me.. have a 1.5ghz P4,

but your RAM is way low for the higher poly models. When I had 256mb I started running in to page swaping around 230,000 or lower. That was just normal running no render..

# 3 08-12-2003 , 04:46 AM
Subscriber
that model with 700,000 I would like to check that out if you remember where that is ..

# 4 08-12-2003 , 11:21 AM
Subscriber
Thnx! for help!
Hm, that will be a hard one. It was pretty long ago, but I'll see if I can find it out.

# 5 09-12-2003 , 02:03 AM
Subscriber
oh yeah just thought of this, Having a lot of history will slow it down. If the histroy is not needed. Ei your tweeking your model. tern the histry off, or delete it.

I just delete it when I start to get more slowdown than normal. History from UV tweeking is the worst for slowing it down as I have found.

# 6 09-12-2003 , 09:09 AM
Subscriber
Pony - U are a star!! :bow: user added image

I was working on a NURBS model last night - pushing and pulling control vertices and hulls - after about an hour of this, my laptop started seriously grinding disk... I had to save the model, close Maya, and reset, once reloaded the model did no better.

I just read your post and loaded the model again, deleted history, and now it's flying along!

If ever I meet you, I'll buy you a pint!

user added image

Of course, I'm hoping most of these worries will go away when my new PC arrives after Chrimbo user added image

# 7 09-12-2003 , 09:20 AM
Subscriber
coolness.. that makes me happy.. Hay could you get me a frappichino from starbucks insted of the pint ?

# 8 09-12-2003 , 09:34 AM
Subscriber
Whatever works 4 u user added image

That'll do donkey... that'll do...
# 9 09-12-2003 , 11:05 AM
Subscriber
Yeah, I delete history whenever it's possible. I remember I worked on a car model and after a while it was going too slow, and when I deleted history, it was flying againg.

# 10 29-12-2003 , 04:51 AM
Another good tip is to go to WINDOW > SETTINGS / PREFERENCES > PREFERENCES > UNDO and set the queue size to FINITE and somewhere around 100. Because what happens is, Maya keeps storing information on every step you take throughout the project and keeps pileing it up into memory. This backup of information can eventually take up valuable resources. By setting it to FINITE and a number somewhere around 100, you put a cap on the amount of information that is kept and it will only backup up to that number before it starts replacing older information with newer, more recent steps.

Also, you might want to get more RAM. 256 is too low.

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu