Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 25-05-2010 , 05:13 PM
Subscriber

Brick wall high-low poly and texture generation

I watched the sample part of the video... it moves pretty fast still for the tutorial video. I have downloaded 1 previous video from this site, the USC HK machine gun tutorial which I viewed and completed. Was sort of helpful. Lots of wasted polies I thought but if it was going to be the high poly and then he made a low poly so they'd be baked I might get it but it was just a stand-alone highpoly model and that was sort of confusing to me. Maybe I put too much thought into it but whatever. My model was a perfect clone of his so I'm not that dumb haha.

I am looking for other Maya tutorial videos on UV mapping, unwrapping and texturing .... the whole process of taking the model and putting a texture on it and photoshop texturing........ whole process if that makes any sense?? I don't want a video on working in photoshop, but I don't know how to get the texture "off" the model and then like work on the texture in photoshop and have the texture reflect my work in realtime in maya??

I know 3dsmax can do this because in my search for videos on maya texturing I found some in 3dsmax that can do it real time but can maya do that too? I see I can load a material-file-.psd file but I can't make it do anything. It's trial and error for me basically.

Maybe I've got it all wrong but I thought modeling was hard and now it's easy but texturing is really super hard for me. I need to figure out how to do this to become a better artist. Googling 'maya texturing' is damn near useless for me.

Can I please get some help here?? Thank you

cahemdue@hotmail.com

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin
# 2 25-05-2010 , 06:53 PM
EduSciVis-er
In the hypershade, with your object selected, you can create a psd network, select the channels you want to work on (e.g. color, bump), check include UVs, then open that file in PS. You can then use the different layers as you like to texture. To refresh your texture in maya, there's a command in the hypershade to reload psd networks (you can make a shelf button).

Just going by memory here, so might be a bit incorrect, someone correct me please. Hope that helps you out. It's not as complicated as you think at first.

# 3 06-06-2010 , 05:02 PM
Subscriber
None of that made any sense...

I posted similar questions on CG artists and 3d artisans. No replies there and it's been two weeks. Talk about shitty forums.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin
# 4 06-06-2010 , 09:38 PM
EduSciVis-er
Sorry for trying to help. I didn't have Maya on the computer where I was posting, so just going off memory. There's lots of tutorials around for texturing. Can you be more specific what part doesn't make sense?

1) Select your object
2) In the hypershade, edit > create psd network
3) Set image name, UV settings, and add the attributes you want to make a map for, e.g. color and bump. (check detailed attributes list for more options like specular)
4) Open the image in photoshop, paint as you wish on the appropriate layers, save the image
5) In hypershade, edit > update psd networks

This is a pretty general topic you're asking about, so be more specific if you want a direct answer.