Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 31-07-2006 , 10:36 PM

rocket smoke that isn't quite rocket smoke

This might've been covered in a thread somewhere here, I can't really find one, but if it is, flame me, yell at me.. i dunno. lol. But here it goes...
Ok I'm doing this visual effects shot of a rocket being fired out of a bazooka and hitting a building. I'm pretty happy with how I got the fire to look, it's not the greatest, but I'm happy with it nonetheless. Anyways, the rocket smoke I want to get for it is really fine and whispy. Since it's a small rocket, I don't want it having that thick smokey look. I've tried and tried and just can't get it right. The smoke I'm talking about is similar to the smoke that gets ejected when the missile turns its engines on here: https://video.google.ca/videoplay?doc...avelin+missile

My shot is similar to that clip too.
I feel kinda bad asking, but if anybody can help, or if anybody wants to help, it'd be greatly appreciated. user added image user added image user added image

Practice makes perfect. Nobody's perfect, so why practice?
# 2 01-08-2006 , 05:27 PM
well perhaps you could render your smoke separately, and then composite it in with around 20% opacity to make it really light and transparent like in the video...

that way it doesn't really matter how dark and thick your smoke is when you render it, you can always play around with transparency and color in post-production.

Accept no substitutions.
# 3 01-08-2006 , 06:16 PM

hmm...

hmm... yeah that could work.
I'll try that and let ya know how it turns out.
Now the only question remains... what comp package to use with this one? Digital Fusion, Shake, or After Effects? lol. I'll probably go Fusion.
Thanx for the reply user added image

Practice makes perfect. Nobody's perfect, so why practice?
# 4 01-08-2006 , 08:41 PM
sure thing! i can't wait to see how it turns out, either user added image

Accept no substitutions.