Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 23-04-2009 , 09:56 PM

USS Voyager

Well, this is it...my first model after all the tutorials, and my favorite star ship, Voyager....this is attempt no.2 and I think I am on track now...I got the basic shape so far: screenshot in the 4th post with resized image to forum rules

Last edited by bokisb; 24-04-2009 at 12:35 PM.
# 2 23-04-2009 , 10:40 PM
Subscriber
It looks like you have the main shape down quite well however you seem to have applied the smooth very early.

Is this just a quick render to check how its progressing? you can achieve a faster result by pressing 3 to preview the smoothed effect without applying it to the model. Otherwise you should add you mesh smooth when its ready.

Finally i would make sure you have a few reference images as well as orthagraphic images as some of the parts dont seem right compared to some images ive seen.

Finally what is your goal for this image? High/Low Res? Photo Real? Low Poly (games)?

Seems a good start tho just would like a little more info user added image

# 3 24-04-2009 , 04:25 AM
thanks for the feedback...you have no idea how helpfull it was....I converted Polys to subDs to smooth the model, and then I started thinking how to continue user added image ...
I will go back to my polys to continue.....my goal is a model for a short video animation, so it should be quite detailed....I have projected reference images on planes...ex. but I am not keeping 100% to the original, and I will have some more tweaking on the main shape..

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by bokisb; 24-04-2009 at 12:36 PM.
# 4 24-04-2009 , 12:35 PM
here it is:
I will rebuild the engine hm...don't know the word, neicells?
two cilindricall thingies user added image I need to redo them from scratch

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by bokisb; 24-04-2009 at 12:49 PM.
# 5 24-04-2009 , 03:31 PM
ok...I am trying to tweak out my basic shape....and I have a problem...

Notice the outer edge on the saucer section, in my basic smooth level, I have a nice border to give thickness to the edge (pic1), but when I try to smooth it, it totaly thins out like in the second picture (pic2)....
I tried adding divisions to the surface, but then I loose the roundness of the main shape (pic3)....this is so basic stuff but I just cant seem to get it right....any advice is appretiated

pic1

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 24-04-2009 , 03:34 PM
pic2

Attached Thumbnails
# 7 24-04-2009 , 03:36 PM
pic3

Attached Thumbnails
# 8 24-04-2009 , 04:23 PM
Subscriber
Put an edge loop either side of the lip. rather than just along the flat face. this will give you a nice sharp edge - i asume this is what you want to achieve.... otherwise you will just need to manually round off the edge by adding more faces...

Basically you want to add the detail in slowly... out of curiosity what tutorials have you done before starting this?

# 9 24-04-2009 , 04:44 PM

Originally posted by bigtommyb
Put an edge loop either side of the lip. rather than just along the flat face. this will give you a nice sharp edge - i asume this is what you want to achieve.... otherwise you will just need to manually round off the edge by adding more faces...

Basically you want to add the detail in slowly... out of curiosity what tutorials have you done before starting this?

edge loop worked perfectly...thank you....
Concerning the tutorials, I did Digital Tutors POD racer and Jet Bike Series, few things on youtube, and stuff i could find on Internet....but I can not believe none of them covered edge loops....

I know I am very basic...maybe I started posting too early user added image....
thanks again

# 10 24-04-2009 , 04:55 PM
Subscriber
no its good you get feedback fast and means you will learn quickly user added image the edge loop tool can be your best friend and worst enemy just make sure you use it appropriately and keep your mesh clean and full o quads and you shouldnt have any issues!

# 11 24-04-2009 , 04:59 PM
yeah, help here is really great....honestly I thought my background in 3D CAD engineering modeling would help me learn more quickly, but this is a whole new universe...I feel I went from apples to atoms user added image

# 12 25-04-2009 , 10:00 PM
here is a small update, didn't had much time to work on it more...

Attached Thumbnails
# 13 26-04-2009 , 01:00 PM
had a little progress today:

Attached Thumbnails
# 14 27-04-2009 , 09:44 PM
update:

Attached Thumbnails
# 15 27-04-2009 , 09:47 PM
mesh

Attached Thumbnails