Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 04-02-2004 , 11:34 AM
Subscriber

2D rendering shadows - Strange result

Hi

I rendered this 3D plan in a 2D view using a directional light and a raytraced shadows in a very high res setting - Shadow rays 5 and ray depth limit also set to 5 and as you can see the shadows on the floor or on other objects have some kind of layered and multiple-transparency effects - the shadows are cast by the wall which is opaque and is a polysurface and also by other objects but I think that the main probelm is by the wall.

HELp as this is urgent.

NIR

Attached Thumbnails

Nir Sullam
Architectural Visualizations Page: www.orvatsel.com/index2.html
Maya Page: www.orvatsel.com/maya
www.nirsullam.com
# 2 06-02-2004 , 09:14 AM
Subscriber
Hi,

Really I don’t know why the shadow cast by walls is different by the other objects…
Or why don’t you use depth map shadow??? It’s faster to render and you can obtain the same results (see below).
Cheers.

Attached Thumbnails

"Imagination is more important than knowledge" A.Einstein
# 3 06-02-2004 , 09:18 AM
Subscriber
Or if you really want to make ray traced shadows try to increase the shadow value in ray tracing tab from the render options…
Cheers.

Attached Images

"Imagination is more important than knowledge" A.Einstein
# 4 06-02-2004 , 09:23 AM
Subscriber
trhanks

I finally resorted to Depth Map Shadows but I had to remove the transparent windows as it casts dark shadows.

regarding your second post - I already have all the 3 parameters set to 10 but it seems this is not the problem.

nir

Nir Sullam
Architectural Visualizations Page: www.orvatsel.com/index2.html
Maya Page: www.orvatsel.com/maya
www.nirsullam.com

Last edited by nirsul; 06-02-2004 at 09:38 AM.
# 5 09-02-2004 , 11:51 AM
is this an orthographic view? because if it is it could wreak havoc with the shadow maps. It shouldn't but you never know user added image

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB