Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 23-06-2003 , 02:38 PM

Rendering problem in Maya 4.0

Hi all,

Attached is a reduced size version of three frames of an 850 frame render at 768x576.

Image one is as the render should be, and images 2 and 3 show both versions of a rendering glitch which is intermittent, but becoming more and more frequent.

Any ideas what might be causing this?

Many thanks for your help.

Julian

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 23-06-2003 , 03:17 PM
Just a wild quess: bad RAM? Have you encountered other strange behaviour with your computer? Tried with another machine?

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 3 23-06-2003 , 03:27 PM
I can't check it on another machine - I've only got one. It has been falling over rather a lot with the current job. I assumed it was because it's running rather close to the memory limit, but it might be that. A happy thought.

I don't know whether it makes any difference, but I re-rendered one of the dud frames and it came out exactly the same. The frames either side were fine.

# 4 26-06-2003 , 09:02 PM
SM Alumni
Have you tried rendering out the problem frames as still images singularly? You can always replace if they come out good user added image

Barring that check all your curves, keys, lights, and textures for anything happening around these problem frames.

Darkon

Red bellows of flame have blackened my stones
Convulsing my frame and cracking my bones
Hell's dragons of steel who roar in their chains
Crawl into my caves to suck out my veins.....

-The Mountain P.F.M.
# 5 27-06-2003 , 08:03 PM
Thank you. Part of my problem has been to do with running out of memory, which I think I have solevd by upgrading as far as I dare, and exiting Maya once the batch render has started.

However, I am also getting render crashes with the following warnings:

Warning: Trender Tesselation: failed to save data for (name of object)

Any ideas?

# 6 30-06-2003 , 10:27 PM
Don't know if anyone's still looking at this thread, but I spoke too soon about memory being the problem.

It seems that Maya will render the images fine, it just scrambles them when it saves the file.

What's going on there?

# 7 01-07-2003 , 07:23 AM
Uh, I really don't know... Tried with another formats?

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

# 8 01-07-2003 , 10:07 AM
Through having to do another bit of work with the models, I may have discovered the answer. The disk partition Maya is installed on was practically full (about 150K to spare). I've trashed a bunch of stuff from that and the first few renders are coming out fine.

Looks as though Maya needs a bit of headroom.

I've set my render going again, and I'll let you know if I'm right.

Thank you for all the thoughts.

# 9 02-07-2003 , 12:12 PM
Final part to this thread, I hope.

Yup! It looks as though that was the problem. No headroom on the C drive. This is probably old news for most of you, but I'm new to the world of PCs, being Mac born and bred.

Worth knowing for the future, though.

Thank you again for your help.

Julian

# 10 02-07-2003 , 12:18 PM
I'm glad you got it solved. This is good to know info...

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB