Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 09-11-2004 , 06:17 AM
Subscriber

how do they do that!

how do i make thoes lines in the body where the nose piece connects to the body and where the rear air vents are defined in the rear section and how do you make the cutouts on the top of the nose??

this is using one single object rather than multiple objects

user added image

# 2 09-11-2004 , 07:14 AM
start by making some edges where you want the cutlines to be at (split poly tool, or cut faces tool, depending on your need).
then select all the edges that make up your cutline, and bevel them a small amount, to be as thick as you want the separation to be. Maya's default bevel tool isn't very good, but theres a good one HERE for free.
now select the new thin row of faces, and extrude them inward. then with them still selected extrude again just a tiny amount. this will help keep the edge sharp when you smooth the model.
now select the edges on both sides of the recessed line (that are level with the body panels), and do a small bevel on those, once again so that smoothing will keep the edge sharp.
Here's a rough idea of what you should get when you're done. (click thumbnails for big pic).
unsmoothed.
user added image
smoothed.
user added image

hope that gives you an idea of how its doneuser added image
if you want the edges even sharper, do some more small bevels on the edges.

Car-maker.
Check out my releases for RACER.
see the WWW button

Last edited by f50; 09-11-2004 at 07:23 AM.
# 3 09-11-2004 , 07:16 AM
Subscriber
much appriciated, thanx for the fast response, ill try that out

# 4 09-11-2004 , 07:24 AM
hope it works for you. i've added a couple pics to that post to help visualize my text.

Car-maker.
Check out my releases for RACER.
see the WWW button
# 5 10-11-2004 , 05:10 PM
Subscriber
my second question is this, how can i clean up this geometry so that i dont get creases when i convert to sub d?

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 04-12-2004 , 11:26 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Make sure you have foursided polys all round

_J

# 7 07-12-2004 , 08:21 AM

How?

sory. but i was wondering how you made that cause I've made a car but still really unsure

thanks

# 8 28-12-2004 , 05:26 AM

how

Working on a side of a poly box just want to add the cutlines to one part of the box. But is adding unwanted lines coming off the main line and down the other sides of the box. Any way to fix this.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by sabmabus; 28-12-2004 at 05:30 AM.