Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 17-02-2005 , 06:02 AM

Cel shading or Not?

Ever have one of those days where you can't quite decide whether to stick with a certain look or push away from it for a bit?

Which works best in your opinion overall with the style? Cel or not?

I made all the images as mostly black and whites to make it as neutral as possible and blended in the major shadows in the cel shader for more solid contrast.

Thanks for any comments.

user added image user added image user added image

Color plate example:
user added image

# 2 17-02-2005 , 06:08 AM
I really like the cel-shading. Looks nice and fits that style well. However, the cel-shading in the first picture could use a bit of work, just doesn't look quite as nice as the non-shaded. Anyways, love them all. Look terrific. Keep up the good work.user added image

# 3 17-02-2005 , 06:18 AM
Here is a wmv with some of the blend tests from the cartoon I'm sporadically working on.

Heh. Yeah that first image is pretty bad. The flaw on the upper leg is kinda messing with me.
Blends WMV 4.5 meg streaming

# 4 17-02-2005 , 09:05 AM
Subscriber
I love your style, cel shading all the way! The cartoon your working on looks very intresting, I especially liked the bouncing ball thingy.

Watch Space Wars at www.3dden.co.uk now!

My pin number is XXXX
# 5 17-02-2005 , 09:58 PM
Looking great. Can't wait to see more of your cartoon... That render of the spiky haired anime dude looks entirely like a cartoon. Not even a hint of 3d which is very cool. Im very interested to know what the "diamond ray of dissappearance" is...

# 6 18-02-2005 , 02:37 AM
Thats a quote from skeletor of masters of the universe that I used for a quick sync.

# 7 18-02-2005 , 02:51 AM

Originally posted by Aidan
That render of the spiky haired anime dude looks entirely like a cartoon. Not even a hint of 3d which is very cool.

I agree! Nice job!

# 8 18-02-2005 , 08:05 AM
playing with colors

Attached Thumbnails