Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 16-03-2009 , 07:53 PM

Marvin Cartoon network

Here is my low poly marvin, the texture is not so good please give some tips on how to improve it...
Next step rig + animation user added image

here is my reff

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 16-03-2009 , 07:55 PM
my model

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 16-03-2009 , 08:10 PM
the skirt segments should be closer together, I think

also, add poly's, and take alot away from the hands. You don't need the fingers modeled if its supposed to be low-poly.... Also, just lower the count in general...
also, make the neck thinner

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 4 16-03-2009 , 08:21 PM
Subscriber
yeah, as joopson said
and also, soften your edges...

otherwise it looks pretty cool

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 5 16-03-2009 , 08:48 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Joopson
the skirt segments should be closer together, I think

also, add poly's, and take alot away from the hands. You don't need the fingers modeled if its supposed to be low-poly.... Also, just lower the count in general...
also, make the neck thinner

I'm sorry but i have to disagree.
Sure he could take away some poly's in the hand but what is wrong with modeling the fingers?
I think low poly for games has come pretty far from the mittens characters used to have for hands and have delved into the mystical world of five fingers.

The crit that i would have is that the hands are to small. In the ref they are quite large and stylized. Possibly you also need to make the feet a bit smaller.

Good work user added image

"If Less is more then think how much more more would be..."

Winner June 2009 Spaceship Challenge
# 6 16-03-2009 , 09:10 PM
Two points - > hands, neck, skirt tider

Maya i ask how to soften the edges :? without adding more polygons :?

user added image

# 7 16-03-2009 , 09:15 PM
Subscriber
quick way is to go to edge selection mode, select the hard edges you want to make soft,
hold down shift,
hold down right click,
and somewhere in the menu is soften/harden edges (near the bottom right corner) and you just select soften edge

if you can't find it then in the polygon menu set go Normals > soften/harden > soften edge (i think... i know the option is in the Normals menu, i haven't used that menu for a long long time)

you can also change the display of edges too, Display > show > soft/hard edges
(i think... i know it's somewhere in the display menu)
hard edges will be shown in full lines, soft edges will be dotted lines

Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
# 8 16-03-2009 , 09:18 PM
Yes i found it thanks i will work out the hands,skirt,neck soft the edges make the skeleton and post again.

thx for the fast feed back guy :attn:

# 9 17-03-2009 , 07:35 PM

Originally posted by Some Guy
I'm sorry but i have to disagree.
Sure he could take away some poly's in the hand but what is wrong with modeling the fingers?
I think low poly for games has come pretty far from the mittens characters used to have for hands and have delved into the mystical world of five fingers.

Why model the fingers and leave the feet (much bigger) blocky? its illogical. You would probably never see the hands close up anyway. The feet, though, are always completely in view, and they distract quite a bit.

The rule is, the bigger the detail, the more polys it should have. the feet are huge...

Just my 2 cents

(also, games now-a-days aren't low-poly really anyway

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 10 17-03-2009 , 07:56 PM
Wait for my progress don't worry my friend i go get a 2L of beer and get work this night.

user added image

# 11 17-03-2009 , 09:44 PM
i think this is looking great but definitely think the hands could be a lot bigger - as in the ref - and i think there needs to me more done to his skirt thing so it's more rounded.

next up, his gun - right?

enjoy your beer user added image

# 12 17-03-2009 , 11:33 PM
Skirt+neck+hands+gun+soften edge

C&C

Next texture of the gun + bind + animation i have the skeleton set up user added image

# 13 17-03-2009 , 11:35 PM
opss forgot to attach

Attached Thumbnails
# 14 18-03-2009 , 12:22 AM
Subscriber
oh dear, did i forget to mention that you should probably only soften some of the edges?
some of those edges you can keep hard because some of those faces you want to stay the same colour for the entire face
so like the broom on top of his helmet, i think you can keep some of the edges hard so that the colours don't go all crazy like that

i'd screen shot you what i mean, but i'm at work on a mac, there isn't a paint program...

otherwise you made some great improvements!
nice gun

# 15 18-03-2009 , 12:42 AM
Yeah i send my marvin to a pro artist who tell me that too. I will experiment with soften some and leave other not softened ... i've made the skeleton so far ... so i think i will do the rest next week because im going in my home town, where i don't have computer ... so see you @ monday...

Thanks for the feedback