Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 16 20-03-2003 , 09:42 PM
Subscriber
I really like the model.

The lighting seems a bit harsh on your render. Try playing with the settings...maybe tone it down a touch.

Keep going! It's coming along great!

https://www.darrylworley.com/

https://www.defendamerica.mil/nmam.html
# 17 21-03-2003 , 06:20 PM

Nice Model

Nice model! the dark blue texture has one small problem, though. the two colors used in your texture are too different. if you make them closer to being the same color, it will be a very subtle difference, but it won't look like one solid color. the way you have it now you can see that the texture is cg. also try adding a few smudges to the buttons- they're too clean! nice overall work. happy texturing/modeling!

# 18 22-03-2003 , 12:15 AM
Subscriber
carrot, I don't fully understand what you mean. do you mean the two colours used to make up the blue texture need to be closer together? At the moment I am using 1 colour for the blue with a slight bump map applied -I think I will have to change the bump tho. This might produce the effect you are talking about.

About the buttons, yeah I see what you mean, will def add some dirt user added image

thanks for the C&C.

cheers

Rich
# 19 27-03-2003 , 11:55 AM
Kevin
looking very cool mate!!!

nice work

# 20 28-03-2003 , 04:51 PM
Subscriber
WOW, great job so far! I love the second last render you showed.. looking really nice. Maybe add a couple scratches to your phone just to give it a unique look (small ones). Very nice so far user added image.

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com
# 21 28-03-2003 , 10:34 PM
Simply Maya OG

Originally posted by englar
i prefer nokia user added image

Me Too user added image

- Hybrid
# 22 31-03-2003 , 06:31 PM
I would round the buttons a bit they seem to be very sharp on the edges.

Another thing regardig textures.. If you change the map type from quadratic to mipmap the texture files tend to be crispier and sharper..

Good work user added image

Carsten Lind
Senior 3D Artist,
Maya Software Manager & Maya Instructor
LEGO Systems A/S
# 23 05-04-2003 , 02:48 PM
Nice model... i got the same phone :p not that i im happy with it :p

But i gotta say nice model user added image

Hi, im a signature virus.
Copy me into your signature to help me spread!
# 24 07-04-2003 , 02:55 AM
i do not prefer the highlight...........

what is to be,
so go.we going down
# 25 22-04-2003 , 09:48 PM
Subscriber
here is a bit of update - just round te edges of the buttons a bit - changed the hdri brightness - reduced it a lot!!

reduced the bump map on the body of the phone

any comments welcome

cheers

Rich
# 26 25-04-2003 , 12:59 AM
Subscriber
Hey, everything looks SO realistic.. just theres a few areas that need tweaking.. evertyhing but the top interface looks good. The buttons are a bit bright, as you may want to give them different settings to make those darker. Also, the navigation pad along with the screen is really nicely modelled.. but your lighting and textures are just not working. Its coming along though! Also, see if you can fix that poly down in the bottom left of your render.. its a bit rough there user added image. Great job though!

# 27 25-04-2003 , 05:32 PM
Subscriber
thanks M.

yeah I def need work on the textures, I think I have sorted the poly edge showing down the bottom right - just softened the normal more and it seems to have solved it (just rendering now to make sure)

The lighting - I was messing with HDRI fake in GI_Joe but might remove it and just use normal lighting.

cheers

Rich
# 28 25-04-2003 , 06:51 PM
Subscriber
messed with it a bit more - dulled down the buttons, tried to clean up the poly problem in the bottom left got rid of the HDRI fake - guess it wasn't right (I couldn't get it to look right anyway user added image )

Still the mesh still needs a bit of work - I might have to convert to subds then crease some edges then convert back - but I don't know if I will lose the texture map or not?

cheers

Rich
# 29 26-04-2003 , 03:51 AM
Subscriber
:| already looks SO much better! Lets see whats throwin me off. Hmm, first off that button in the top left of the phone is just not right... maybe play with that texture if you can. Also, the buttons are a lot better, but the color of the buttons doesnt look right (the light blue). Also, you see the talk, end talk, and navigate buttons? they kinda dont look right. Keep it up though, wonderful job so far! Just workon those buttons! user added image.

# 30 26-04-2003 , 11:27 AM
Subscriber
thanks for the comments M, can you say why the buttons(navigate,talk, endtalk) don't look right?

I know what you mean aboyut the light blue colour on the buttons - i have messed with that colour an unbelievable amount - The problem is it is a layered shader with transparency through to the light blue coloured lambert shader underneath - can't seem to get it to look sharp or the right colour. Nevermind, I will continue to mess - Thanks again for the C&C realy apreciate it - it's kinda hard for me to look at it (looked at it so much!!)

cheers

Rich