Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 46 02-12-2010 , 04:40 AM
Hi Nilla,(miss nova)

What happens when we post a new thread regarding problems or posting our finished work.
Will it be shown on the home page and under what column. Under active site discussion i see some very old post from year 2006. Why is that?

with best regards
Mahesh

# 47 02-12-2010 , 05:13 AM
SM Tea Boy
New posts go on the front page under active site discussions. If something is replied to it goes to the top of the list on the front page as it's active.

David

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 48 02-12-2010 , 05:23 AM
Administrator
I got a bit confused about it this morning as well Mahesh but I've been following it during the day and it's actually quite funny to see what pops up. I think it makes for a more interesting site with the active discussions rather than the latest threads. The latest threads still get covered by "view new posts".

Nilla

# 49 02-12-2010 , 05:51 AM
To david and nilla,

May be i am too demanding. Sorry in advance if i make you feel so but cant there be a column for threads related to finished work like you got one for WIP.

I myself and every other for sure post their finished work for critics and comments. For me it really helps to bifurcate my good work from bad ones to help me compile my showreel on which i am working upon. Or can I post in under WIP?

regards,
Mahesh

# 50 02-12-2010 , 06:16 AM
Administrator
We can not add another column of threads on our front page, and we feel that WIP should have front page space rather than finished work as you need the critique and help to progress through your project. I think most people who critique work on this site would view these forums specifically or through new posts rather than the front page as well so I don't think a finished work thread would not be seen because it didn't get front page space for as long.

However, as you're looking for critique and not to just showcase your work I don't see a problem with posting it in the WIP section if you want, so please feel free to post it up there instead.

# 51 02-12-2010 , 06:43 AM
Thanks Nilla for your reply.

I completely agree with your point

regards
Mahesh

# 52 02-12-2010 , 08:56 AM
text is much better now and easier on the eyes user added image

# 53 02-12-2010 , 11:38 AM
Subscriber
Well i thought I'd stop in real fast on my way to Panama. I love the new site Dave and Nilla, looks sweet. Can't wait to get home so i have more time to explore it, and as Jay said up there, see it on my giant monitor's at home. ( stuck on a small 17 inch monitor here right now bah!).
G-man

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!
# 54 02-12-2010 , 02:16 PM
Lifetime Member
Wow Mahesh - 'Bifurcate' Maya hasnt even loaded up (well actually it has now) and I've learnt something already...

David still love the site, noticing small errors here and there (typos mostly). Three at least just in the Lifetime Membership descrip. ('Libiary' with no full stop before 'It' your instead of you're) Would you prefer them pointed out here, by PM, or not at all?

Personally I miss the way New Threads were linked on the welcome page. I used to log in and find 3-4 new things to learn/think about - kind of got me in the zone for the hours ahead. Creature of habit I guess and now my routines changed user added image

I'll get over it user added image

Last edited by 3dStudent; 02-12-2010 at 02:32 PM.
# 55 02-12-2010 , 02:33 PM
SM Tea Boy
@3dStudent you can point them out here I appreciate the heads up user added image

As for the Active site discussions on the front page I'll be adding a button to let you switch between Active Discussions and Latest Posts. Same with the Members WIP box I'll let you change it to Finished work instead.

Thanks for supporting SimplyMaya

Dave user added image

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 56 02-12-2010 , 02:58 PM
Thanks David

Mahesh

# 57 02-12-2010 , 04:06 PM
Lifetime Member
They've only been minor things... Sites working perfectly.

Noticed tonight when I download a tutorial piece the screen shows me as a Guest... Didnt stop me downloading though.

Attached Thumbnails
# 58 02-12-2010 , 11:00 PM
Administrator

# 59 02-12-2010 , 11:02 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey Dave/Nilla

Something was brought to my attention today regarding the download sections by one of the staff at work of all places. It seems that the text is overlapping making it all unreadable. Now Im not sure if its a browser error but Ive viewed it on both FF and IE and its the same.

Ramsay tute is one of them: https://simplymaya.com/autodesk-maya-...=163&sub_cat=2

cheers for now

Jay

# 60 02-12-2010 , 11:52 PM
Administrator
Cheers Jay, strange thing. I know Dave is always cursing over IE it causes a lot of problems when he builds a site. I noticed the same thing you mentioned for the GI on the test site, but there was a lot of problems back then and I know he tested the site for all browsers he's a fairly good programmer. I just ran all the site pages by IE and FF to check and it comes out fine for me.

Anyway it's a question for Dave I'm not clever enough for this so I'll mention it to him in the morning he's gone for a well deserved pint in the land of beeruser added image He uses chrome and he's trying to get me to do the same but I had enough trouble when he forced me away from IE so I will not abandon FF as well because he now thinks chrome's the best browser. I know there's a really annoying problem with the arrow keys that's FF specific he's trying to figure it out now. Basically you have to move in slow motion so I'm hoping he'll get it fixed.

Nilla