Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 07-04-2005 , 06:06 AM
Subscriber

Problem with Spitfire Cockpit

Hi guys,

I am doing the Spitfire tutorial, but I've deviated from the design and using my own reference images. As such my cockpit shape is different and I wanted help with its modelling.

user added image
My Cutout looks like this

user added image
I extruded the edges and put in the following subdivision.

user added image
When I convert to SubDiv I get sharp lines forming which I'm having trouble removing.

Any Thoughts or suggestion?

Cheers
Paul

# 2 07-04-2005 , 08:34 AM
Subscriber
Hi there BMS.

I think the problem lies with you having some n-gon polys on your mesh there - the conversion to sub-d won't be very clean unless you try to keep to 4 (or 3 if you have to) sided polys. I think the edges that I've pointed out in red might be causing the problem, you could clean up these edges by splitting the mesh where I've shown in blue, but I'm no expert, so I don't know if that will get rid of the creases.

Hope it helps a bit anyway, keep up the good work user added image

LisaG user added image

Attached Thumbnails

When in doubt......smile!

https://www.x-menthelaststand.com/
# 3 07-04-2005 , 09:22 AM
Subscriber
Thanks Lisa,

I actually tried that but it didn't give me the result I was after. In any case I recreated it for you to have a look at:

user added image

Man I thought I had this under control :angry:

# 4 07-04-2005 , 02:06 PM
Spread out the lines a bit they are just to close on the side of the plane, You can use sculpt poly just lower the intesity down a lot and smooth out the lines more on the side then the cock pit area.

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 5 07-04-2005 , 09:16 PM
Subscriber
Thanks Kurt,

I haven't used the sculpt poly yet, but I will give it a go. You're probably sick of hearing this, but the Spitfire tutorial is one hell of a tutorial. I've learn so much by watching it. The repetitive nature of your tutorial really helps newbies like me.

Cheers
Paul

# 6 08-04-2005 , 05:23 AM
Subscriber
Thanks Guys,

Learnt a lot from this Cockpit cutout. So far more time has been spent on the cutout than the wings and aileron! Kurt spreading the lines did the trick and the cutout is 90% there now.

Cheers and Thanks
Paul