Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 19-03-2006 , 05:09 AM

Help - a new character

Okay, this is essentially the first character I've made -- and I need help... -grin-

When I convert from NURBS, to Poly, and then finally to Sub-divs, and then move the verteses in Sub-divs, these cracks form on the edges of the model.

It only seems to be when I move the finer verteses (1 and 2) rather than the coarser ones.

If someone could help me I'd really appreciate it! I don't know if it's my settings, or what I'm doing in NURBS and poly mode, but this is kind of getting to me.
Thank you!

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 19-03-2006 , 06:11 AM
those shouldnt appear in renders, so they dont really matter at all

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 3 19-03-2006 , 01:40 PM
it could be that you havent merged all necessary vertices

Live the life you love, love the life you live
# 4 19-03-2006 , 02:36 PM
Well, I know I have merged the verteses where the neck and head connect, but are there other things (vertese/edges/other) that I should watch for?

# 5 19-03-2006 , 03:30 PM
Are you sure that you have merged the vertices? You should try moving them one by one, just to make sure. You may need to increase the distance in the merge vertices option box. Sorry if this advice is obvious - just a thought. You could also try turning on your border edges - (Window>settings/preferences>preferences>then select polygons in the left hand box and then tick the box that says highlight border edges and increase the order width in the slider below as needed. This will help you see exactly what parts of your model are fully joined.

# 6 20-03-2006 , 02:28 AM
Okay, so, it couldn't be anything aside from the merging verteses in that section? Because then I can focus strickly on that if that's all it could be. (It couldn't be anything when I'm deleting and adding edges?)

Thank you so much, everyone!

# 7 20-03-2006 , 06:37 PM
I don't know enough to know whether it could be another problem, but turning on your border edges should at least make it clear whether your vertices have actually been merged or not.

# 8 21-03-2006 , 08:29 PM
If I didn't adjust the border highlight until later, should it still highlight the borders? It doesn't seem to be highlighting them for me, and I was thinking it might be because I didn't change the settings until the poly model was already made.

# 9 21-03-2006 , 09:04 PM
I suppose I should also mention that the cracks don't go away even when I ctrl+z it. Maybe that's a hint? -shrug- I don't know.
Thanks everyone!

# 10 21-03-2006 , 09:28 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Subds?

Go to the hypergraph and check for 'blind data' nodes, they are subds built up history nodes, just delete them. Also hit 3 on your keyboard...

Any more probs just shout...

Jay

# 11 25-03-2006 , 08:46 AM
Wow, somehow I couldn't find the blind data nodes... Rather new to Maya and 3-D in general, but thank you very much everyone! (Especially for bearing with all my questions) I tried to render a frame, and the cracks don't seem to show up -- but still, they are rather annoying to have when I'm modeling.

Oh, and what Maya program do I have to get that doesn't have the watermarks? It's rather difficult -- for me -- to model with them there... -shrug-

Thanks again!

# 12 25-03-2006 , 09:48 AM
Subscriber
Hello Trasendil,

the watermark can be a little intrusive but the software is free after all. The only way to get a watermark free copy of Maya legally is to purchase it from one of the resellers.

If you are a student and can prove it, there is an educational version which is exactly the same as the commercial one but you are forbidden to make profit from it and it is a fraction of the cost (around £300 instead of £5000 for Maya unlimited).

Take it easy,

Mat.

# 13 26-03-2006 , 01:07 AM
True, true, it is free -- no complaining. Thanks for the advice -- maybe I'll eventually purchase the students version, but for now. -shrug-
Thank you very much!