Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 31-12-2006 , 09:33 PM
Subscriber

materials and render question

hey guys, well im re-modeling my ipod again because im not satisfied with it but just having alittle abit of a problem, just wondering if any of you guys would know what type of material or render settings i should use to get the same result for these individual things,

1: the bottum of the ipod(shadow)
2: the soft plastic feel of the green part

thanks, marlon

user added image

# 2 01-01-2007 , 02:13 AM
Subscriber
do u have one of your rendering shots to take a look at?

# 3 01-01-2007 , 03:01 AM
well the green portion of that ipod mini is made of metal, and we can't see the bottom of the ipod, so i don't know what 'shadow' you're talking about.

as for what material to use to emulate it? i'd use a blinn with a mid-to-high eccentricity value and a low-to-medium specular rolloff value.

Accept no substitutions.
# 4 01-01-2007 , 11:53 AM
Subscriber
@ mar_one - i havnt really rendered anything with material/color, just modeled it out.

@ neostrider - thanks for the material/emulate information, ill try it out. as for the shadow i mean like on the plane. i think i should of said floor reflection :p sorry if i cant be more specific, heres a picture:

thanks for the respond guys, marlon

user added image

# 5 02-01-2007 , 02:49 AM
Subscriber
hmm I'm interested in this "mirror effect" as well. i know how to do it in photoshop ; )

well for sure you have to make nurb plane, put it in bottom of your model. distance between should be very little.
after that you have to change attributes of plane material (dont remember name) to kinda glassy one. it will reflect nearby objects on plane surface.

# 6 02-01-2007 , 03:16 AM
Use a blinn shader, default values should work with a slight adjustment in the reflectivity, and some reflectivity blur on it should do the trick.

Your probably gonna have to do a few test renders to get it rith though

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 7 02-01-2007 , 03:54 AM
Subscriber
At a guess by the way, I'd say it's quite possible that the reflection is photoshopped even on their version. Could be a while playing around trying to match it, but good luck user added image

# 8 02-01-2007 , 05:08 AM
The Maya Mountain
photoshop retouching is a very common practice in print and web graphics. Dont be afraid to use it! user added image