Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 05-07-2008 , 01:29 AM

Starting Organic Modeling...

hey guys, im new to the forum, ive been registered for a while but have been busy, im new to maya and 3d software completely and am wondering what would the best tutorial to find out how to do organic modeling, such as characters in 300, warriors, fantasy stuff like that. also i was wondering what would be the best tutorial on here for learning materials like skin and fur and like making a realistic creature , like a cat, i would like to make a cat actually for sum reason. thanx for all your help!
im talking bout the video tutorials of course!

# 2 05-07-2008 , 07:27 AM
Subscriber
there are a number of tutorials on here that involve organic modelling

if you're not satisfied with them for some reason then Google is your friend. probably search for "organic modelling maya video tutorials"

of course i expect you to be familiar enough with the interface of your current version of Maya (the one you own) to be able to map any old menu items and commands to your current interface

(did that even make sense??)

# 3 05-07-2008 , 12:58 PM

RE: I dont understand.........

Well, I just bought the student version of maya, and im sure it includes all of the materials / modeling tools i need, but no, i dont understand, im completly new to everything, i would just know how to make really realistic models. I would like it to involve zbrush too. I have that program. Heres an example from gnomon. I bought this one, something like this: https://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/dvds/aal03.html
thanks

# 4 05-07-2008 , 07:21 PM
Gnomon tutorials are fantastic and very easy to follow from my experience, I used them a lot when I started out. They do go into a lot of detail though so it may seem a bit daunting at 1st and you will need to watch some parts again and again. This is because they teach you how to create work to a professional standard so you get a good idea of what is required to create great looking work.
With regards to zbrush it is a great piece of software and helps create great 3d art. I always model my base meshes in maya and get the uvs done using the roadkill plug in. This allows me to create simple base meshes with good topoplogy that can then be brought into zbrush as sub tools for sculpt and texture work.

Good luck and look forward to seeing your work in the forums.

# 5 05-07-2008 , 07:35 PM
Thanks!
So Ive just wondered is there anything like the gnomon maya to zbrush thing in here?

# 6 05-07-2008 , 07:52 PM
Lifetime Member
To be honest I would think you might struggle to learn 2 apps ssimultaneously, z brush takes a bit of getting to grips with at first especially.

Regarding transfering from Maya to Z brush tutorial, i don't think there is anything on this site right now but there might be very soon.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner