Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 02-03-2011 , 12:08 AM
Super Moderator

March Challenge - Environment - GecT

So I read the challenge description and something popped and stuck right away. I'm leaning towards a home on a deserted island. A scenario that has transformed into a "well we're probably never leaving this place so might as well be comfy".

- Genny
# 2 02-03-2011 , 05:33 AM
Lifetime Member
hmmmmmm two islands in the comp....Man Friday in nice hut Genny??

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 3 02-03-2011 , 06:20 AM

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 4 02-03-2011 , 06:28 AM
Super Moderator
I just noticed THX is doing one as well, damn you, I could've lived in blissful ignorance for a while user added image

Lol Andy, Mighty Boosh has to be one of my favorite shows ever!!

- Genny
# 5 02-03-2011 , 06:31 AM
Lifetime Member
Sorry Gen...I thought you cottoned on in my reply....he he he he

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 6 02-03-2011 , 07:10 AM
Super Moderator

Sorry Gen...I thought you cottoned on in my reply....he he he he

Ha! I just googled that. Way before my time user added image

- Genny
# 7 02-03-2011 , 07:26 AM
Lifetime Member
bahahahah Im old am I LOL....yes I guess I am.....have a look in Jays thread with the old building links Gen...there might be something in there to inspire?

bullet1968

# 8 02-03-2011 , 10:21 PM
19 year Veteran

I just noticed THX is doing one as well, damn you, I could've lived in blissful ignorance for a while

You should still do it. Yours would probably be a whole lot better than mine. I'm not really entering to win this challenge. Just really testing some ideas. So I 'm not really competing with anybody here.

# 9 05-03-2011 , 06:58 AM
Super Moderator

You should still do it. Yours would probably be a whole lot better than mine. I'm not really entering to win this challenge. Just really testing some ideas. So I 'm not really competing with anybody here.

Same. I'll probably take desert island thing on another time, there was another person who was going to do it anyway. I need the CG exercise!
------------------

I finally got started and I did some sketches and settled on this idea. Not an island but I wanted some water in there. The models are stand ins of course user added image. It's pretty much a remote marsh land village. There will be plants, grass, and little dingys and stuff.

Attached Thumbnails

- Genny
# 10 05-03-2011 , 08:17 PM
Subscriber
ah, there is some action on this thread!
looks like you angled the camera for this shot, or rotated the world

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 11 06-03-2011 , 11:59 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Nice start Gen

was wondering when it would get going, look forward to the rest.....

J

# 12 13-03-2011 , 07:33 AM
Super Moderator
I'm not abandoning the challenge even though March is being a brat about it. Finally got to dig mah grubbeh mits in and started in on of the shacks.

Attached Thumbnails

- Genny
# 13 13-03-2011 , 08:31 AM
Lifetime Member
Yes its looking the part now Gen...good to see you are still in it! Not trying to be me (sorry Surveyor mode) the X pieces actually would intersect with the bottom lats...and have another across the top...this gives strength...sorry being a construction boy it springs automatically to mind...good job though mate

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 14 13-03-2011 , 09:04 AM
Subscriber
so howd you place all your planks of wood at the top of the tower and put in all those curves into the building?

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 15 13-03-2011 , 11:59 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Good stuff Gen, the shack's looking nice and rickety.

Chirone, I cant speak for Gen on how she has modeled her shack but if it was me, I would duplicate the parts next to each other, with dupe special, then providing the model had some good division I would throw a lattice deformer around it and pull it around, this way everything will stay in position but become deformed next to one another

Jay