Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 14-06-2005 , 06:39 PM
Subscriber

How to select multiple vertexes in one go

Hi there. Im working on Kurt's cartoon dog tutorial. As some of you may be aware it involves a lot of shaping basic NURBS primitives over a 2D plane image. To do this you switch to vertex mode and grab and drag the vertexes to your disired shape.

What I have observed is that Mark doesnt always click to highlight the individual vertexes (which turn from purple to yellow) instead he is using some other operation to highlight an entire row of vertexes (which in turn places the move/scale cursor in the centre) - to allow for uniform maniuplations.

Im finding it hard to shape my model without distorting the geometry as i find im not always selecting an entire row of vertex data (some are hidden on the other side in orthorgraphic perspective) and I always end up distorting the layout of the isoparms too much. So can someone tell me how I can select vertexes more efficiently?

I hope i've managed to convey the issue here.

Thanks and regards

Pallaris.

Last edited by Pallaris; 14-06-2005 at 09:25 PM.
# 2 14-06-2005 , 07:36 PM
Subscriber
I think what you're refering to are Hulls. Just rightclick the nurbs-surface and select Hulls...

Not sure how Kurt feels about being called Mark though user added image

Liter is French for 'Gimme some ****ing cola before I break vous ****ing lips!"
# 3 14-06-2005 , 07:37 PM
Location: Where do u think I am right now? Alright, I'll tell y' all... I'm at Gnomon Workshop and Highend3d sites...Hehehehe...just kiddin':)!!!!Oh, I'm not a ego member anymore? Cool!!!! I'm a Senior Member now!!!!
I think this is what u are tryin' to say: You modify only one side of the model when clickin' on a vertex. To uniform shaping, select 'em with a box (click on one point and drag to select a row of verts). You can't see the other side verts cos they are exactly on tht same point, but in another part.

Anyone here plays Tibia?

Add me to your MSN list

Tibia is the best MMORPG that i've ever seen...xD
# 4 14-06-2005 , 09:30 PM
Subscriber
Yup Total Rookie has it...except the way Kurt does it, he doesn't drag boxes around individual verts..he somehow manages to select all verts along an isoparm in a single operation...almost like a shortcut to dragging a box around the verts you want to select.

for example..if you have the following verts along the following isoparms.

---------x--------
---------x--------
---------x--------
---------x--------

x=vert

he somehow manages to select all those verts arranged vertically in one operation.

or maybe the video is masking the click-drag box operation. hmm

Last edited by Pallaris; 14-06-2005 at 09:35 PM.