Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 21-07-2007 , 02:19 PM
Jr.Who

Yet another rigging problem

Hey guys,

lol, yes, another problem.

When trying to move the arm control (check out the pic below) I keep seeing an error blinking in the SE (yes, it is freaking annoying), and it won’t move the wrist control properly.

Here’s the error in the SE:

// Warning: Cycle on 'left_wrist_control_orientConstraint1.constraintRo tateY' may not evaluate as expected. (Use 'cycleCheck -e off' to disable this warning.) //
// Warning: Cycle on 'left_wrist_control_orientConstraint1.target[0].targetRotate' may not evaluate as expected. (Use 'cycleCheck -e off' to disable this warning.) //
// Warning: Cycle on 'left_wrist_control_orientConstraint1.target[0].targetRotate' may not evaluate as expected. (Use 'cycleCheck -e off' to disable this warning.) //
// Warning: Cycle on 'left_wrist_control_orientConstraint1.constraintRo tateZ' may not evaluate as expected. (Use 'cycleCheck -e off' to disable this warning.) //
// Warning: Cycle on 'left_wrist_control_orientConstraint1.constraintRo tateX' may not evaluate as expected. (Use 'cycleCheck -e off' to disable this warning.) //

-Jr.Who
user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 21-07-2007 , 03:46 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
It Looks like you are trying to rotate the wrist control when you have the contraint already attached, in which case you cant rotate the wrist

My advice is this: use one control, keep it simple make sure all your attributes for fingers, hand and arm rotations are under the one control.

do this: get the cube, name it Lt_HandCtrl, and centre( V key Snap) it to the wrist, freeze the transformations. Select the cube then shift select the IK handle then contrain>point. You may find your rotate values in the channel box hilite blue, but dont worry all you are interested in is keeping translates at zero.Then select the wrist joint then shift select the cube then constrain>orient. It will keep every thing nice and clean and the cube will point in the right direction every time. Then add your ctrl attributes for fingers etc to the cube

Cheers
Jay

# 3 21-07-2007 , 09:40 PM
Jr.Who
Thanks, I'll try it tomorrow!
user added image

# 4 22-07-2007 , 12:31 PM
Jr.Who
EDIT: Nevermind, I figured it out. Again, thanks for the help, Jay. I'm following the DT training for it, but I don't know why he used the 2 controls.
user added image

Last edited by Jr.Who; 22-07-2007 at 12:35 PM.
# 5 22-07-2007 , 01:56 PM
Enlighten me then, what was the problem?

Jay

# 6 22-07-2007 , 02:32 PM
Jr.Who
In the tut they took some of the attributes off of the object (they said it would be cleaner that way). So I moved a rotate one back, but since there's, like, 10 different rotate things, I moved the wrong one over.

# 7 22-07-2007 , 02:47 PM
aah okay. So which method are you doing, DT or the one above?

Its okay I wont be offended if you do the DT one...

Jay

# 8 22-07-2007 , 02:54 PM
Jr.Who
I’m using yours, as it is simpler. I just binded the skin today, and I’m going to try to fix the weights tonight if I have time (I’m about to leave the house right now).

BTW, which way did you bind him? Smooth or rigid? user added image

# 9 22-07-2007 , 03:00 PM
Always smooth!

_J

# 10 23-07-2007 , 03:46 PM
Jr.Who
What’s the difference? What do you use rigid for?

After trying to use the paint weights tool for about a half an hour, I want to kill myself. :headbang:

# 11 24-07-2007 , 01:08 AM
LOL, painting weights requires patience and time, and if you havent done it before, its a bit of a shock to the system.

the difference between the rigid and smooth is that rigid binds only to one joint so you can then edit with flexors or lattices and such whereas smooth binds to multiple joints meaning you can have more than one joint affecting a single cv.

Smooth bind can create a more realistic deformation at the end of the day, but is harder to do. If you are doing a rubbery cartoon character its ideal too.

Jay

# 12 26-07-2007 , 01:23 AM
Subscriber
urggh painting weights, there soo annoying and sometimes confusing ... still havnt really figured the whole thing it out yet :S

also word of advice, as you are rigging etc etc ... always remember to freeze transformations for them controls, i forgot once and it totally wrecked everything for me when i was about to start animating.

Marlon