Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 61 12-08-2008 , 10:10 PM
for an alien its very human looking well except for the face, but very nice work

# 62 12-08-2008 , 10:13 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Mayaniac
It's ashame you like the body so much. I'm actually going to be changing it... make it look a bit more Extraterrestrial. To better match the head, as suggested by a friend.

i have to agree with your friend
it does look bizzare to see a human body that fit with a head like that :p

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 63 12-08-2008 , 11:19 PM
Yeah the body needs to look a bit more "outhere" to match the face, his face looks "puffy" and sort of made up of fat mainly so I probably would not go with a toned look, I would try to keep is sleek, sort of seal/whale like if that makes sense, that way I feel it would fit with the character more.

Whats with the really high poly count?

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 64 13-08-2008 , 12:59 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
Hey!

Thanks for all the input. It's most appreciated!

@gster123: The poly count is high. I was modeling using Jeff Unay's method from his book 'Hyper Realistic Creature Creation' He builds up his creature like I have. His model ends up at about 30,000 polys. So I was trying out his method... and it's working so far. Though it might seem like a bad method... lets remember Jeff works for Tipid Studios (hellboy) So I'm going to guess he knows what he's talking about, BUT I do agree with you. So I rebuild the torso, and Decreased the poly count a fair bit. I probably will still add more Geo, I'll see how it goes. Thanks!

Anyway, latest:

user added image

user added image

user added image

user added image

user added image

user added image

user added image

user added image

Thanks again!

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 65 13-08-2008 , 01:36 PM
Wow looks very good, and very nice topology on the body!!!

Using the latest version of Maya!!!!
My ultimate goal is perfection!!!!
# 66 13-08-2008 , 02:32 PM
To be honest, with the intorduction of Z/mudbox I really cant see a point for such high counts, I've seen many works using that method, and i've tried it myself, and its great, but as with everything in 3d theres many ways to go about it. Personally I would go for low poly, getting the best from what you've got then go to Z or mud and then go from there with displacements or with normals, to me its more flexible and you can animate with the base mesh not with 30,000 polys.

The models looking better, fits with the face more, I would personally reduce the, not to sure if this is the correct term for the muscle the teres major (shoulder to the mid body area on the back) I would be inclined to make that part look really skinny, and lowere the amount of muscles in the arms, dont know why, but might be worth a look?

Cheers

Steve

# 67 13-08-2008 , 02:48 PM
Thanks, Mickeal_alex

gster123:

I see what you mean about the low-poly modeling being allot more convenient... I just looked back on my old head model I made for this character (before I reduced it) and realized what a pain it would be to create blend shapes for it.

So I think I'll stick with the Low-poly.

Oh, and I will reduce the muscles on the back. Now that you pointed it out. It's too muscular compared to the rest of the body.

Also, I have a question. When it comes to render time. Do I subdivide the mesh, or do I have my renderer do the subdividing? If I do use the renderer to smooth the mesh, will there be enough Geo to display the Disp-map correctly?

Thanks again!

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"

Last edited by Mayaniac; 13-08-2008 at 02:50 PM.
# 68 13-08-2008 , 03:03 PM
Well if you would like to make it very artistic you should do what most people on pixologic do, start with a very very low model and export it into zbrush. I think that on my model i will make him a bit more defined and then redo the topology for the model making the zbrush model live and redoing all the muscles in the topology making it more realistic in animation, what do you think???

# 69 13-08-2008 , 03:18 PM
Thats a very good way to create your characters. Allot of people do it that way. I too will probably use that method in the future. What I'm thinking of doing at the moment, is model my Character in Maya. Then Import it into ZB and add all my details. I will already have my topology in place. So I can just Import the base mesh back into Maya, and use Disp map generated by the Hi-res model in ZB. What I was wondering is if you have a Low-res mesh that is to be used in a production environment. Would you smooth the mesh when it came time to render, or would you have the renderer smooth it for you? I can imagine either way would work. I will have to have an experiment.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 70 13-08-2008 , 03:19 PM
I pretty much 90% render in MR for a character, so I apply a Mr sub d approxiamtion to it, and smooth the mesh.

I pretty much follow a video thats now on you tube, heres the link to it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOrmlnIZrAM

You've picked a big model to go for for doing an organic, as it's not human (in some ways, its not but it is), but I bet your picking a lot of stuff up on your way!

I'm currently getting some stuff together for a character that I want to do as a protfolio piece that not "human" so i'm trying to ground it off the bat, its a bloody hard task to get it all sorted, anatomy wise, mixing many parts, before doing the bits you want (modeling, textring and rendering!), but its well worth it in the end.

I hope in the previous posts I didnt sound harsh, I'm not, just giving crit other than "cool" as adding the extra bits will make the difference, as it's a more thought out model, rarther than a "alien" head with a muscular human torso

# 71 13-08-2008 , 03:24 PM
Yes i use the same method as gster, it's better to do a subd aproximation so it will get smooth only at render time, and in your work view you will have a low model witch will be faster to animate, i know this method from DT_Tutorials.I only use this method when i creat a displacement map.

# 72 13-08-2008 , 03:29 PM
Oh, no your not harsh user added image

I actually appreciate the time you take to lend a hand in my work. I agree about the whole 'Alien head human torso' statement, but what i really meant was. I wanted to create a character of unique design, BUT still have recognizable anatomy.... for practice. This character will be completed, and he does have a design, and it has changed for the better, thanks to your's and some of my friends advice.

Thanks again, and that link is GREAT!

Hopefully, as I progress in my Organic/character modeling, and design. These things will be planned out, a bit better... at the moment I'm kinda stumbling around in the dark.

Thanks!

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 73 14-08-2008 , 02:57 AM
Subscriber
ohhhhhhhhhhh nice! lovin' the stuff your producing ... keep it up

# 74 14-08-2008 , 03:11 AM
Subscriber
you got some nice work going on there.
I got a question though this book Hyper Realistic Creature Creation how good is it cause I think I want to get it today

# 75 14-08-2008 , 03:50 AM
hyper real rigging dvd was really cool, so if its by the same guys who made that your on a win. That was by some blokes from tippet studios i think.