Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 09-12-2003 , 10:22 PM

Moving the maya folder

Hi

I want to move the maya folder (the one that contains the project folders, prefs, presets, scripts etc) from the default location (in the My Documents folder on drive C) to another drive. I am using maya 5 on Win XP.

I would just cut and paste, but I'm worried that might screw things up. Does anyone know a better way, or at least what actions I would need to take in maya after having manually moved the folder?

tia

parttimer

# 2 09-12-2003 , 10:48 PM
AFAIK, you cannot move the user/maya directory. That is where Maya stores its preferences. If you move it, Maya will simply create a new default diretory. You can, however, edit your environment variables to point to additional directories for scripts, icons, plugins, etc. Look up "Environment Variables" in the Maya help files for more information.

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 3 09-12-2003 , 10:55 PM
Ok, thanks for explaining that. I only really need to change where my project files are kept, as space is low on my C drive. I guess I can just do that in the Project setup dialog.

# 4 10-12-2003 , 12:11 AM
To save yourself some time, you can set a default project directory in the Preferences.

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job