Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 04-04-2006 , 10:30 PM

How can I fix the bumpiness?

Hello everyone.. I got the opportunity to test Maya for a while, I've never used these kinds of programs before. I read through some brief tutorial and just started on my first ever 3D model and it is from my old car. Now I've run into problems. Of course I want the model to be as smooth as possible but for some reason I managed to get the surface a bit bumpy.

Now I'm asking how can I easily level the selected vertices to same level to retain that smooth look?

Picture to help you understand what's my problem:

Thanks in advance if someone can help me. Any tips regarding modelling this or any car would be appreciated also. user added image

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by pestopasta; 04-04-2006 at 10:36 PM.
# 2 04-04-2006 , 10:56 PM
being able to do that just comes with skill, and skill comes with experience, and experience comes with practice. The more you practice, the better you'll get.

Live the life you love, love the life you live
# 3 05-04-2006 , 12:26 AM
I guess you're right, there are no shortcuts to creating good looking models. If I ever manage to complete this I will post it here. Just at this moment however I think I should take a little break after messing around about 2 hours with the ****er and it still doesn't feel right. I downloaded the cartoon dog tutorial and the guy was creating the dog with Nurbs primitives, makes me wonder if nurbs would have been the right way to go. I guess I'll stick to polygons for the time being anyway. user added image

# 4 05-04-2006 , 12:39 AM
nah, for a car, nurbs are a no-go

# 5 05-04-2006 , 12:40 AM
Subscriber
Select the offending Vertices and then use the scale tool and scale them in the -X direction. this will basically flatten out the section of the panel. Now you'll have to reshape the panel again to the desired shape.

Also note you're not supposed to post images that large on this forum. Limit the size to 640 x 480.

Cheers
Paul

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 05-04-2006 , 12:46 AM
oh yeah, I wouldn't have thought of that!

good one BMS! user added image