Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 17-12-2003 , 11:55 AM
Subscriber

First real project - Planet Crawler Vechicle - WIP

Well, I finally decided to do something with the little knowledge that I've accumulated in the last few months.

The concept is an "Planet Crawler" - a vehicle that carries people and stuff over the surface of a 'strange-and-faraway' planet. user added image

My intention is that the vehicle will have multiple sections - currently a "cab" and a "trailer"... although I might break up the trailer into individual sections each with it's own axle and wheel assembly.

Anyway, have a look at my very first renders of this project (I warn you, there's little to see) and let me know what you think.

Image 1: View of chassis
user added image

Image 2: Detail view of wheel
user added image

That'll do donkey... that'll do...
# 2 17-12-2003 , 12:02 PM
good looking

# 3 17-12-2003 , 12:47 PM
Subscriber
Heh... I just noticed that the track on the far set of wheels is pointing the wrong way. I must remember to mirror and not duplicate-rotate! user added image

# 4 30-01-2004 , 12:51 AM
Subscriber
Well, it's back to it... here's an update... comments & crits please...

Attached Thumbnails

# 5 30-01-2004 , 10:02 AM
Subscriber
Let me just explain this somewhat as it may appear odd ... or just plain crap.

Development of concept: Initially I had thought of some sort of vehicle that would be used to cross a barren planetscape ... such as the moon vehicle from 2001 A Space Odessey. However, while i was making the wheel (first renders) my mind started wandering and sure enough, I started slipping towards a Jabba The Hut style floating mini-palace. Finally I decided to combine the two ideas. So what we have here is a Royal Transport. Towed by the funny (and hastily modeled) vehicle up front are two large wheeled platforms. The first contains the royal quarters, reception areas, etc. The second contains the service area where the servants toil. This area is topped with a small landing area where visiting dignitaries can land and park their vehicles.

The three modules will be connected by "energy beams" that start from the rear mounted dish on the towing vehicle and then pass through the large cylindrical "power converters" that are mounted, in pairs, on each platform.

I have placed three "ickle-people" in the render to give an idea of scale as I wanted to demonstrate that I am totally hooked on the idea of having absolutely MASSIVE wheels.

# 6 30-01-2004 , 10:24 AM

remember to mirror and not duplicate-rotate!

scale it in the correct axis by -1 and that should work fine. I'll crit properly later on

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 7 30-01-2004 , 10:33 AM
Subscriber
LOL sounds like a cool idea. except I don't see any little people for scale comparison.

# 8 30-01-2004 , 10:35 AM
Subscriber
Way down at the bottom. They're tiny.

# 9 30-01-2004 , 11:03 AM
ok then it's MASSIVE! i'd think about adjusting the scale cause that's one huge machine!!!

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 10 30-01-2004 , 11:05 AM
Subscriber
Thats big !!

# 11 30-01-2004 , 11:15 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Pure_Morning
ok then it's MASSIVE! i'd think about adjusting the scale cause that's one huge machine!!!

I want it to be huge. The goal I am working to here is a final render/composite that shows the vehicle returning through huge gates of a futuristic-yet-slighty-decayed city. I'd like there to be crowds of people and a party-like atmosphere as if the king had scored some huge victory somehow/somewhere.

# 12 30-01-2004 , 09:27 PM
nice concept and nice design.. but why is the ankle hinge and join a square design?