Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 10-11-2003 , 10:31 AM

Plan For Myself... What do you guys think?

You guys know I dropped out of college to try and learn things on my own. So here I tried to create somewhat of a syllabus, daily schedule for myself. It is meant to make my day easier and make it more systematic and maybe increase what I learn each day.

Included is a link to an RTF document which I wrote to myself what I should do and what my plan is during the day.

https://www.noise-iye.net/rtdv.rtf

What do you guys think of it? What can I do to improve it? What can i add to it? I am open to all suggestions and opinions.

I will put my schedule to test starting tommorow..well in a few hours that is. It will be a monday so I would like to get your opinion so I could maybe add things to spice it up a bit for me.

Thanks in advance to those who could help. user added image

<a href="https://forums.simplymaya.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16675">May/June 2005 Challenge Entry</a>
# 2 10-11-2003 , 12:09 PM
It's getting late for me, so I'll only comment on a few little things:

I think it is a good idea to set up a syllabus for yourself. It provides a good framework for how you can achieve your goals. You have a plan. You don't have to stick to it exactly, but it is there for you to gauge your progress.

IMHO, I think you should alternate your daily schedules. Maybe on one day, you do speed exercises, and then on alternate days, you do more focused sessions (e.g. learn more about features in maya, work on a project, etc). Drawing everyday is good though. user added image Following the exact same routine each day will burn you out, especially if you're covering several different topics in a day. You don't really get a chance to focus on anything if you only spend 1-2 hours on it. Give yourself 3-4 hours for some things to really get into it and develop your skills.

Also, 13+ hours a day is a bit much. Most people aren't really productive beyond 8-10 hours. Naturally, this isn't always the case, but do keep that in mind. You don't want to burn out after only a week. user added image

From a technical standpoint, using dates in file names is redundant. You already have date stamps on the files. Just sort by date if you need to know see when things were created. Also, naming files with long-form dates will not allow you to sort alphabetically in any logical fashion. For example, "Dec 5 2003 - chair.mb" will come before "Nov 13 2003 - chair.mb". That really doesn't make any sense.

Anyway, those are just some of my thoughts. I look forward to hearing how your first day goes.

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 3 10-11-2003 , 04:31 PM
Thanks danny. Youre right about alternating schedules, Ive thought of it but I wanted to see how things would go if I do it in a day. Ive got an hour before I start, I think will make some changes in the plan.

As for the dates and namings, I had them numerically like 11-5-03-chair.mb in the beginning, but now I think I will put it back into that way because of the sort by date which you reminded me. Again thank you for taking the time to read my plan.

btw, i like that flour sack in your avatar lol its like the "wave" breakdancing thing except with the legs hehe

<a href="https://forums.simplymaya.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16675">May/June 2005 Challenge Entry</a>
# 4 10-11-2003 , 05:55 PM
You could use this kind of timestamp:
2003_12_31_Chair.mb .. that way when it sorts them, it´ll do it correctly.

# 5 11-11-2003 , 03:45 PM
syllubus? Damn. If I only knew, I could have saved all the syllubai I had over the last four years of college. That would have helped you out. user added image

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 6 11-11-2003 , 04:39 PM
adl: i changed it to that format now thanks! it works better

dave: wouldve been great if you saved it. user added image

# 7 11-11-2003 , 11:17 PM
Looks good.

Personally i couldn't keep to my own syllabus, maybe i could for the first day, then i get invited to a gig or to watch the footy, i know what i would choose.

I need that schooling enviroment and 'real' deadlines.

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....
# 8 11-11-2003 , 11:28 PM
I agree with Dannyboy about the time requirement.
I do believe it is very well written. If you do follow it as you intend it too, you will make very good improvements.

Good luck on the start of this endeavour. user added image

# 9 12-11-2003 , 03:49 AM
my second day on it user added image im eating dinner right now. so far its been fun..and a real test on myself..ive had some few moments already when i said to myself "i can extend the time, its my own" but i didnt, cuz if i did, i would start breaking other rules hehe..now im thinking i should write a blog and put all my notes down online so maybe people who are new to maya and drawing and such could learn