Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 22-12-2010 , 05:58 AM
Subscriber

Bump map distortions from an imported model

Greetings:
I have an issue that I need to solve because it effects every character model I try to bring into Maya from 3DS Max or Poser models. I usually convert the model to FBX from either Max or Poser and then import into Maya. It seems that Maya handles bump maps completely different than Max or other programs. The bump maps that come into Maya from these models are always really distorted when rendering the model in Maya. The character looks shriveled and wrinkled. I'd like to find out how Maya handles bump maps differently and get some Maya compatible bump maps for the models I bring in.

You can download an example of a character I've imported into Maya here:

https://musicq.biz/kk/

It has the existing bump maps that look great in 3DS Max but weird in Maya.

If anyone can shed light on this - I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks
Robert

# 2 22-12-2010 , 08:00 AM
The thin red line
Its OK its just your bump depth default is set to 1 try .1, go to hypershade click on your texture above your texture in the hypershade window there should be a box with two arrow side by side, with the texture selected click on that, that should bring up your texture below with all its conections click on the checkered one(2D texture file) in the attribute on the right hands side should say bump depth change that to say .1 or untill you are happy..........dave

# 3 22-12-2010 , 08:02 AM
Lifetime Member
Hi rockit, i looked at your file and it worked fine in maya 2011 after i lowered the bump intensity and also reversed the bump by using a value of around minus 0.03
When it first imported it had a bump value of 1 which will almost always be too high in most cases.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 4 24-12-2010 , 01:11 AM
Subscriber
Thanks guys. I wonder with such a tiny bump depth setting, will the bumps really show up and make a difference in the texture? I'll try it.

# 5 24-12-2010 , 01:12 AM
Subscriber

I see

Thanks guys. I wonder if lowering to such a tiny bump depth value, will the bumps in the texture actually show up in the render? I'll give it a try.

# 6 24-12-2010 , 10:55 AM
Maya's bump value is in scene units, so 1 can be a very large value.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675