Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 12-06-2012 , 01:55 AM
Events Team at Wargaming.net

Shatter Effect

So I am trying to use the shatter effect but its giving me some weird results. The one on the far right is solid shatter, the middle is surface shatter, and the one on the far left is also a surface shatter. The problem I am having is that the only one that seems to be breaking apart is the one on the far left and it has to depth to it, the other ones have extrudes so that when it shatters it doesnt look flat. Here is the video, I dont know why but its all lopsided from the upload to youtube.

The problem is, why wont the other ones shatter? Also are the plugins better for heavy mesh's or breeaking it into more pieces? My computer slows down a good amount with just those on the screen. If i pump it up to about 15 parts with a seed of like 20 it pretty much freezes when I try to preview it

test - YouTube

Last edited by Ozgalis; 12-06-2012 at 02:25 AM.
# 2 12-06-2012 , 02:28 AM
Lifetime Member
that screen lopside is from the playblast settings...I had the same issue. Have you the tutorial for the shatter?

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 3 12-06-2012 , 02:30 AM
I just read another thread going to try using the dg_voro see how that works. I watched the Free Friday tutorial

Last edited by Ozgalis; 12-06-2012 at 02:42 AM.
# 4 12-06-2012 , 03:19 AM
in my search i found a plug in called Super Smash Pro, thats what I am using atm, having some issues with the particles not colliding with my ground plane..will update if I can get that figured out

# 5 12-06-2012 , 04:54 PM
So I am still having the particle issue but for some reason my system sows to a complete halt when trying to test this. I a using default quality rendering, no lights, 20 particles are coming off my emiter, and my shatter piece is broken into 9 parts. Are dynamics really that intensive? or is there something else going on here? I am pretty sure my machine should be able to run this simulation with no problems.

Also i am running at 24fps, with playback speed on my time line as realtime

# 6 12-06-2012 , 05:17 PM
Super Moderator
I was always under the impression that when dealing with simulations, the playback should be set to play every frame.

- Genny
# 7 12-06-2012 , 05:39 PM
alright ill try that first.

Alright tried it out,at he 23rd frame it slows down considerably, pretty much a dead stop again. and this test was with just the particles and not the shatter...will try some more stuff when I get home from court

Last edited by Ozgalis; 12-06-2012 at 05:42 PM.