Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 11-01-2006 , 02:12 PM

modelling...

hi there.
help needed desperately.
i'm suposed to model an original character and animate it for 10 seconds for an assignment. got an idea and a storyboard but finding it very difficult to actually model the thing!!
anybody got any tips for modelling a mushroom?! i'm trying to think of basic shapes but at the moment it is just looking like a cone sitting on top of a cylinder.
have imported a pic of what i want it to look like so i can model it more easily but the bits aren't doing what i want them to!
oh, and then do i have to add a skeleton in order for it to move??
am new to this as you can tell.
any help would be much appreciated.
thanks.

# 2 11-01-2006 , 02:58 PM
Subscriber
just did this real quick, hope it gives u an idea user added imageuser added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 11-01-2006 , 03:36 PM
thanks for ur quick reply. looks sweet.
but can u give me an idea how u made the eyes, the eyebrows and made it so rounded?
also how u made the background?
thanks.

# 4 11-01-2006 , 04:19 PM
Subscriber
the eyes are just cylinders made flatter, and rotated, the eyebrows are ploy plains just shaped by puling vertices, the mushroom shape is a poly sphere, made by pushing vertices up into the sphere, and its rounded by smoothing the whole scene poys/smooth.
may i ask what this is for cause if its a maya school, i suspect u aint listening cause this is the simplest part of maya user added image
perhaps u should study the free tutorials on this site and use maya's tutorials in the help tab on your interface.

# 5 11-01-2006 , 04:20 PM
Subscriber
also the ground is a fractal material just changed the default colours.

# 6 11-01-2006 , 10:41 PM
it's for a course at uni.
we have only just started maya and although there are tutorials from the tutor what i am wanting to do is something new to me and not covered in those tutorials.
thanks for ur help.

# 7 17-01-2006 , 10:19 AM
Your best bet is to do the tutorials on offer so you learn the basic skills - all that 'walk before you can run' stuff is true.
Once you've got the basics underway then move onto more difficult things.
Concentrate on learning how to use the interface and then the modelling will come with practice user added image

edit: oops didnt notice this was an old post...

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 8 17-01-2006 , 12:52 PM
thanks a lot for ur advice - hav downloaded some tutorials and they have been helpful. somewhat less panicked now but project still looming! thanks again.