Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 03-01-2009 , 07:42 AM
Subscriber

prepare a scene for FBX export

Although I've used 3ds max for about 3 years, I'm new to Maya.

I use the Maya scenes I make in xna projects so I export all things from Maya as FBX.

When I have a poly object & modify it with a "Boolean Difference" operation using a second sacrificial poly, the modified poly displays properly in Maya. However, when I render it in xna, the sacrificed poly renders also. This is not desired.

Is there a way in Maya to prepare the mesh for export that the sacrificed poly doesn't come along.

It seems like in 3ds I'd use a "collapse all" feature but I do not see an equivalent in Maya.

Thanks.

# 2 03-01-2009 , 11:05 AM
I believe in Maya this is called "History".

So before you export your FBX model, make sure to select it, and go to:

EDIT > Delete by Type > HISTORY

or if you have multiple objects selected,:

EDIT > Delete ALL by Type > HISTORY

Good luck!

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 3 03-01-2009 , 01:25 PM
Subscriber
Yep. that was it. I was aware of deleting the history and thought I was routinely deleting it. However, I thought the history was one big history for everything. I would delete history without caring about what was selected thinking all history of all objects would be deleted. I didn't realize it's selection dependent... for obvious reasons.

# 4 03-01-2009 , 04:17 PM
Subscriber
i don't get why you find it obvious
that would be a BAD thing if it deleted all history and not the history of objects that are selected

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 5 04-01-2009 , 12:36 AM
Subscriber
That's what I mean. Like the light went on in my head & made it obvious that it should be selection dependent. I would imagine there are many times you just want to delete history on a particular time. I just hadn't realized it till now.